We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Plata Safety

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Plata Safety

My husband and I are heading to the Grand Paradise Playa Dorada in March. Lately I have been reading how unsafe the North Coast, including Puerto Plata, is. Last night I read an article where two women from Ontario are claiming that they were sexually assaulted, shot at, and tormented by staff while staying at the Bahia Principe San Juan. There are also numerous of reviews stating that people have been robbed at this resort. Is all of Puerto Plata this unsafe, or is the Bahia Principe San Juan just in a bad location?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Plata Safety

How many crimes were there this week in Sudbury Canada? Do take what you read on the internet within it's context. Millions of tourists visit the D.R. without incident. Taking the normal precautions Puerto Plata is as safe or safer than most cities anywhere. I lived there for years without incident.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Plata Safety

This was an isolated incident. Unfortunate for those involved - but we only have the opinions from one side we will never know the full circumstances there. Most tourists have no problems at all. Generally speaking the country is very safe, Have walked round Puerto Plata many times with no problems at all.

Edited: 6:20 pm, January 11, 2014
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,968 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Plata Safety

Use normal precautions, don't flash money or jewels, don't go where you would not go if traveling anywhere and you will be fine.

We have lived here for 7.5 years and go out to town 3-4 times a week, eat dinners out, go to bars, beaches, shops etc and have never looked over my shoulder.

BObK

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Plata Safety

Hi,

We have visited the ICD resort five times and have travelled to Sosua, Cabarete and Puerto Plata on day trips. we have not experienced any problems, and we are also careful not to be flashy or let down our guard, as we would be in any city anywhere. Just do not let down your normal guard and common sense because you are on vacation. If the idea of this resort worries you, then stay somewhere else. after all it is your money, and you should not be nervous when looking for a relaxing time.

Level Contributor
228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Plata Safety

I have been to puerta plata with my wife 5 times and Never felt unsafe. We go to clubs bars restaurants walk all over without a problem, but yes we respect the city and people of DR and do exactly as we will do if we were visiting any country

Edited: 11:08 pm, January 11, 2014
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Plata Safety

I read these reviews and I am concerned that it will put people off coming to the North Coast just as it seems to be getting on its feet again. We have been to PP, (Lifestyles resort) many times and we always make a point of visiting other parts of the area. We usually take taxis, but have never felt unsafe, in fact we have found the Dominicans to be friendly and welcoming. I would expect this incident is isolated and I'm sure the hotel will take measures to stop it happening again. At least if they want to stay open. Security on the resorts is usually very good.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
243 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Plata Safety

Jillian09, we stayed at this resort for 2 weeks during X-Mas and New Years. My older two kids (19 and 17 years old) walked numerous times with their friends not only to the mall but to the flea market on the beach as well. They never had any problems and they felt totally safe. We also went to Sosua for the day and didn't have a problem at all. We are looking at going back again this X-Mas as the kids really liked the concept of the complex. They also loved Sosua beach and want to spend more time there next time!!

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Plata Safety

We have traveled around the north coast extensively with no problems, but have always had a Dominican friend or two with us or used a Dominican driver. It can be dangerous if you do not use common sense.

I always love the posts that state a foreign destination is as or more safe than your home town,

My guess is you are not planning to vacation in your home town or you would be asking about safety there. ; )

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
139 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Plata Safety

Hi Jillian.

I had to get in on this forum

We will be Im puerta plata next week for our third time.

I am a very very nervous traveller. I don't trust anyone or anything. Reasons behind that personally. But when we have been down there the friendliness amongst the Dominican people are outstanding. I have never for one minute felt nervous at all.

We live 1/2 hour from Toronto Canada and I am petrified to go Toronto. I know people laugh lol my family thinks I'm nuts. Yet I will fly for thousands of miles and feel very safe

I hope this helps you. Like some others said just be careful with money jewellery. I'm sure in Sudbury you wouldn't walk into the convenience store showing a ton of money either.

Enjoy. You will have the time if your life.

On the other hand my heart goes out to those other woman that were attacked :(

Wirral
Level Contributor
961 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Plata Safety

Jillian 09,

We stayed last August and did a few DIY trips, never had a problem and as others have said the Dominican people are a very friendly bunch. Even traders on the beach and in their shacks would take no for an answer. Just use usual holiday common sense and you will have a fantastic time :)