We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone calling rate

Newburgh, New York
3 posts
Save Topic
Cell phone calling rate

Planning a trip to Puerto Plata in a few weeks,

I have a unlocked phone and plan to purchase a local sim there from orange or claro does anyone know what the local cell providers charge for a call from the Dominican to USA whats the rate per minute for such a call for example how many minutes do I get if I buy a $50 card etc. tx in advance.

Sarnia, ON
Level Contributor
612 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone calling rate

Last year I had a phone from Claro - a 15 minute call to Canada was the equivalent of $3 US.... The new phone with 200 pesos in minutes was approx. $35 US. I was there for a month and called Canada 2 or 3 times a week.... my Mom was recovering from a heart attack so, wanted to keep in touch.

This year I had one from Orange and could not call Canada at all! I could hear the person pick up but, they could not hear me. Because I couldn't get through to her, I e-mailed my nephew with the phone number and to let everyone know we were fine. She called and we spoke for 9 minutes - her phone bill was just over $29!!!!!

I will be getting Claro when I go back next month!! You buy the minutes in pesos... I usually bought 500 pesos at a time - depends on how often you plan to call the US....

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone calling rate

With Orange ,calls to the USA are the same price as domestic calls, and they charge by the second, 0.13 pesos per second or roughly 8 pesos (19 US cents) per minute.

Newburgh, New York
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone calling rate

thanks for the info appreciate it.

Yarmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone calling rate

With the calling cards is it unlimited texts to Canada?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone calling rate

I have Tmobile you could probably get a pre paid sim, and the data whie I was in the DR was free but slooooooowww. Text were free and calls were 20 cents per minutes. Not a bad deal.

6. Re: Cell phone calling rate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 02, 2015