We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Damajaqua Cascades 27 Waterfalls

Minnesota
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Damajaqua Cascades 27 Waterfalls

We are going to Puerto Plata in March. We were thinking about doing the waterfalls but I have 3 questions.

1. is the water really cold? what is the water like?

2. What if you don't want to jump off, is there a way down to the bottom?

3. What other must to do would you recommend?

Thanks for all your help!

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
Jackson, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Damajaqua Cascades 27 Waterfalls

The 27 falls are a controversial topic. Lives have been lost there. It is for the very fit. The guides are not trained or certified in any way. If you go following a rain they will be very brisk and dangerous. This one is a re-think.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
41,972 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Damajaqua Cascades 27 Waterfalls

Its not an excursion to be recommended 27 waterfall trip. Of course its entirely your decision but here are facts that I continually post here on the forums.

These waterfalls have life issues especially with a heavy downpour of rain, there have been quite a few accidents with loss of life doing this trip.The guys that are in the water with you have no proper training or safety regulations to abide by with no certification Please read this link and then decide if this trip is really what you want to do.

http://tinyurl.com/mzp95u7

And also must mention nothing has changed over the years concerning training, safety measures have not been jacked up and there will continue to be more tragic incidents reported until these guys get proper safety training on dealing with people that take this trip.

And just say there have been other tragic loss of life since Adam too, just thought I would warn you of the dangers of doing the waterfall trip, then you can make your own mind up if you wish to go ahead with the excursion or not.

Plus I would also like to mention if you do decide on doing this excursion check the fine print on your travel insurance policy to see if you are covered just in case you do have an accident while engaging in this activity.

Angie.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Damajaqua Cascades 27 Waterfalls

Thank you so much for the information. We will definitely be crossing that off our list. I really appreciate you letting me know. ... so with that. . What would u recommend. .. this is our first time to the DR. We are going to help out at Dove mission in one day but would love some more ideas. .. thank u!

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,972 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Damajaqua Cascades 27 Waterfalls

Monkey Jungle which also has zip lining. A worth while cause as all profits goes to help the onsite medical and dental clinic.

http://www.monkeyjungledr.com/site/

I also just love wandering round Puerto Plata lots of wonderful architecture plus you have the Amber Museum, Fort San Felipe,Independence Park and the Cathedral, Haitian Village, Brugal Rum Factory & Cable Car up Mt Isabele de Torres. Hire a taxi for 1/2 day the cost should be approx $US50 but on top of that you will have to pay a small entrance fee to the Amber Museum and the Cable Car. Make sure you go on the cable car ride in the morning though as around lunch time the clouds tend to roll in and all the breathtaking views just disappear.

Angie.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
Amber Museum
Amber Museum
879 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Fort San Felipe
Fort San Felipe
1,046 Reviews
Dominican Republic
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Damajaqua Cascades 27 Waterfalls

Puerto Plata is nice. There is also a good supermarket to stock up on local products - coffee, rum, cigars etc.

You could also visit Santiago - take the Metro bus for a "real adventure" as they say. The centre (round Calle el sol) has a larger collection of late 19th century houses/commecial buildings than PP. There are also a couple of musuems - including one out of town funded by Leon jimenez. Santiago also has a huge market - down the hill from the cathedral.

La Isabella is where Columbus established his first permanent settlement in the country and is worth a visit. West of Puerto Plata

The road to Moca from the north coast is very beautiful - go for lunch at el molino del cumbre for the view over the Cibao Valley.

I have never been to the waterfalls - I would not describe it as a must see except amongst the tourism community - plenty of other things to do,

Be aware there are no indengous/wild monkeys in the DR.

Edited: 7:36 pm, November 27, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
Minnesota
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Damajaqua Cascades 27 Waterfalls

Thanks everyone for all ur comments. I appreciate everyones suggestions!

cornwall
Level Contributor
360 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Damajaqua Cascades 27 Waterfalls

How far is Santiago from the Riu's?

What would a taxi cost us?

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,972 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Damajaqua Cascades 27 Waterfalls

I did the Santiago trip from the Iberostar and it was 1.5 hours to get to Santiago, for the whole day the taxi cost $US100 plus tip and that was having the taxi driver as our guide, then we paid for lunch for ourselves and the taxi driver.

Angie.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Damajaqua Cascades 27 Waterfalls

The bus will be about $7 each with Metro Tour. The stop in Santiago is near the monument. and on the edge of the main area of interest. The journey time is also about 1.5 hours. The disadvantage of this is that you would need to get a taxi from the hotel to the metro bus station in PP and back. So a taxi there and back to Santiago may be better.

Metro Tour - is the equivalent of a national express service - but better service - IMO.

Another good excursion by taxi would be to go to El Molino del Cumbre - on the hills above Moca with a great view of the Cibao Valley. The drive there through the moutains is beautiful -small farms, coffee, woodland etc.

Edited: 7:45 am, November 28, 2013
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,141 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Damajaqua Cascades 27 Waterfalls

The goat stew at Molinos is the best I have had here. The views from the terrace are amazing. Great stop for lunch.

BObK