We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency to take

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Currency to take

Hi all, been reading all the info on here and it's all really useful. My question is what currency to take. Because I keep seeing references to US $. Does everyone use US $ there or do we need the local currency aswell? Is it best to tip in US $ or is the local currency good aswell? First time out of Europe for us and looking forward to our two weeks.

London
Level Contributor
147 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Currency to take

does the same apply coming from Canada? and i was wondering how that works using an ATM? do i get pesos or American from the machine and is there a fee every time you use it?

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,448 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Currency to take

ALL ATMs here distribute pesos only. Yes it works the same for Canada and if you have a Scotia account in Canada you can use the Scotia ATMs here with no facility charges.

BObK

London
Level Contributor
147 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Currency to take

Thankyou B0bk we are going to the RIU Bachata in January first time to Dominican. we go to cuba all the time but figured we will try something else. im worried about the reviews so i hope its ok when we get there

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
39,535 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Currency to take

AndrewandPam

The ATM's only dispense pesos, you will have to contact your card issuer to see what fees they charge for using the machines but here is a thread from earlier in the year that might be of help to you, take note of posting # 3.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147290-i64-k602…

Angie.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Currency to take

we took dollars and didn't have a problem spending them :)

agent! I never did get to meet up with you last week!

x emma x

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,076 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Currency to take

AndrewandPam, Scotia is the only ATM that does not have a fee. The other bank ATM's charge 120 RD and up per transaction.

17. Re: Currency to take

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 01, 2014