We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu merengue - here now

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wirral
Level Contributor
950 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Riu merengue - here now

Hi, live from the Riu Merengue, 1st day and its lovely here. None of the issues reported in previous reviews, rooms basic, clean and comfortable. Plenty of food and variety. Pools lovely- all 3 of them! Never been to a resort in August were you can get sun ends for 5 by the pool at anytime of the day! Multi cultural guests from all over the world- great atmosphere. We're all having a good time. Weather fab so the only thing for you to worry about is packing enough sunscreen! Thanks to all who gave me advice over the past year! :-)

New Brighton...
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu merengue - here now

Do the locals still check in at weekends?

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
36,890 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu merengue - here now

Glad to hear you are enjoying your stay so far and weather is great......hope to see regular updates.......especially waiting to hear what your take is on the weekends :)

Angie.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu merengue - here now

Good to hear you have arrived and everything is fine. Enjoy the rest of your stay and hope the sunlamp stays on for the duration.

Drummermum.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
16,947 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu merengue - here now

Enjoy your trip and the sun lamp should be on at least through the weekend.

BObK

Wirral
Level Contributor
950 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu merengue - here now

Thanks all, we're all still having a great time. There are dominican guests here and they are lovely- great fun and boy do they know how to dance!!! Manager about asking for feedback, service second to none. Thanks for the weather report bobk. We will wait and see what the weekend brings but at the moment I think if anyone finds fault taking into consideration the price paid they must be ultra fussy or looking for fault.

Wirral
Level Contributor
950 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu merengue - here now

Oh there is only one problem- the effect of the humidity on my hair! Lol! I have never had such an uncontrollable continuous bomb head in all my life! Lol! My family thinks its hysterical! :) :)

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu merengue - here now

Tinmen,

I am so glad to read that you and your fanily are having a good time!

We fly out on Monday 26th and cannot wait!!

How is the food?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu merengue - here now

Tinmen,

Good point about the price paid for what you get at the Riu's Bahia Maimon. It's a stunning setting, wonderful people and great service.

We've made great friends with all nationalities, including some fun loving and gracious Dominican families since first visiting this beautiful country we lost our hearts to many years ago.

Know about the hair prob..... Some photos I've got are frightful on the eye when I was there once in September.... not as bad in winter cos of lower humidity.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu merengue - here now

Good to read you are having a great time. Those Dominicans may be loud but they certainly know how to dance.

Brixma - I am sure there will be some Dominicans there including those cleaning your room or cooking the food - at least you will have the opportunity to improve your dancing skills!

Wirral
Level Contributor
950 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu merengue - here now

We are finding the food good, lots of choice at dinner. My eldest is the fussiest person ever to feed and she's finding something every meal time. Think you'd have to have a resident master chef at home to think its awful.