We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Plata in January

Paisley, Scotland...
Level Contributor
118 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Plata in January

Travelling in January always comes with it's own set of risks and challenges but I was wondering if anyone can offer an insight as to what my wife and I can expect in terms of going to Puerto Plata in what generally is off season.

Given that the Dominican Republic is very much tourist driven now do you notice the difference during the low seasons?

If so can anyone comment on how this affects the Hotels, particularly Blue Bay Villas? I've read great things about the staff teams there. Can we expect to have the same staff in January as other get during peak season? Generally speaking how busy is Puerto Plata (and obviously BBV) at the end of January?

Again having done a bit of research (and keeping a close eye B0bk's weather post) its fair to say the weather wont be much of an issue (keeping in mind that Scotland and the UK in January is grim to say the least) but can anyone provide an insight into the weather patterns in January? No matter what it's surely going to be better than home.

Do the same excursions run all year round or are there any that are season as such?

I look forward to hearing any information anyone can give me.

Both the wife and I are really looking forward to getting our holiday started and while its still ages away it's nice to get an idea of what we are going to.

Ta

Kev

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,750 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Plata in January

January is actually high season so everything should be operational, and hotels should be fully staffed as well as the restaurants.

As to the weather .....Pack the sunscreen and leave the snow shovels at home :)

BObK

Paisley, Scotland...
Level Contributor
118 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Plata in January

Ideal.

So High season = busy hotels (normally?)

Thanks B0bk!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Plata in January

It's a good time to visit.... escape the bad weather at home for a time..... high season means all bars and restaurants usually operational and fully staffed.... just before Spring Breakers and so comfortably buzzy but not hectic.

Oh..... and the sun will no doubt be there to welcome you so def pack plenty of the high factor sunscreen:))

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Plata in January

We've been several times in Jan/Feb and it is high season in the DR. Really busy with plenty to see and do. The best thing about going from the UK is that the weather if great and you can swim in the sea. Try that in the UK!!

5. Re: Puerto Plata in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 08, 2014