We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lifestyles - Shareholders Not Able to Offer Gold Bracelets

Center Valley...
Level Contributor
849 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Lifestyles - Shareholders Not Able to Offer Gold Bracelets

Just thought everyone should know, I've been advised that Shareholders are no longer allowed to offer gold bracelets to guests, unless the guest is a close family member or friend, and the shareholders are being asked to justify each and every booking they offer gold bracelets, with a special email to the resort. It is unclear at this point if the resort can then reject the request for gold bracelets to be offered. But it looks like the change that had been discussed as a possibility previously is now being enforced. Be advised.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lifestyles - Shareholders Not Able to Offer Gold Bracelets

I would assume bookings already made promising a gold bracelet would still be honoured.

Center Valley...
Level Contributor
849 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lifestyles - Shareholders Not Able to Offer Gold Bracelets

I would THINK so, but, nothing would surprise me from the Lifestyle camp at this point.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lifestyles - Shareholders Not Able to Offer Gold Bracelets

Yes any existing confirmation that states that you get gold will be honoured.

Boston...
Level Contributor
263 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lifestyles - Shareholders Not Able to Offer Gold Bracelets

Kelly H - Long time no see. Actually I fully support this rule, as it was truly getting out of hand. Every other person it seemed had a gold or black bracelet. I know it's a tough pill to swallow for you and other guests, but it makes sense. There are simply too many members now, and during peak seasons the number of gold bracelets seen around the resort is staggering.

In addition to the qualifications for gold bands (close family or close friends), there is only one reservation at a time the can have gold (or black) bands. Therefor, if I as a shareholder, am on the resort, no other reservations that I have given out, for that period of time, can receive these bracelets. My reservation counts as that ONE.

Lifestyle's growth plan is based on new members who must pay for this privilege. By giving out gold bands to everyone, there is virtually no incentive for many people to join.

I have just now requested confirmation from the resort that they will honor some reservations that were already confirmed some time ago as receiving gold bands. I can't imagine that they would be retroactive with this new rule.

-- Bob

Center Valley...
Level Contributor
849 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lifestyles - Shareholders Not Able to Offer Gold Bracelets

Bob - I completely agree that this rule was necessary, and is only fair. I know that the past two years, we have noted several times as people walked by on tours, you know - what WAS the incentive to buy in if we could gain the same privileges / access by just booking through a shareholder. I get it...it makes sense...and I fully support it. The same as I wouldn't have expected the cheapcaribbean.com guests to be on Serenity beach when I paid a lot more to be there than they did, I can imagine that members / shareholders must have been very frustrated when they learned through conversation that we hadn't bought in, but had the same color bracelet on as they did. While it certainly is disappointing for those of us who have been to the resort and will no longer be able to visit our favorite areas in the future if we return, I certainly am not protesting the rule - I think it's only right.

Boston...
Level Contributor
263 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lifestyles - Shareholders Not Able to Offer Gold Bracelets

Well said Kelly. You get it.

It will actually make it an even better resort, as the members gain more and more confidence in the integrity of the place. It will be important to see if the rule is applied evenly to all Platinum Supreme and Platinum Supreme Shareholders, regardless of how many shares they own. We shareholders will be keeping an eye on this and will certainly report abuses to the management.

As I read the email from the resort, the ability to have guests who are close friends and close family members have extended benefits is a part of the Platinum Supreme contract and not connected with actual "shares" that a shareholder has. Therefor, a shareholder with more shares will NOT be able to offer multiple simultaneous reservations with extended benefits.

I hope that guests who have enjoyed previous visits will continue to visit the resort, even if they do not have Gold Bands, as the place really is great. I have also seen some pretty good deals on entry level memberships, with extended financing and very reasonable prices. This, will of course, assure them and anyone on their contract, Gold Bands.

We will be there from mid September through mid October and will keep you posted.

-- Bob

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lifestyles - Shareholders Not Able to Offer Gold Bracelets

I am sure that this will have a major inpact on the hundreds of people that bought memberships at Lifestyles who were encouraged by the management there build a business around renting villas, residential suites, presidential suites, ect.

I would not want to list a price of $699 per week for a Jr suite plus $60 per person per day for the AI with a blue or red band when Cheap Carribean, Nolitours ect are selling basically the same package for $29 per night --- room & A I.

Edited: 11:35 am, June 08, 2013
Center Valley...
Level Contributor
849 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lifestyles - Shareholders Not Able to Offer Gold Bracelets

birdman - this is a very good point. From a business standpoint, there are now a lot of people who are, essentially, screwed - if they bought into higher levels of membership based on the premise of renting out weeks. It wouldn't take a savvy traveler too long to figure out that the primo bucks the shareholders are charing doesn't really allow any more access than the cheapcaribbean folks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lifestyles - Shareholders Not Able to Offer Gold Bracelets

Kelly actually you still do get more, better rooms, access to NV beach, a la carte restaurants each night and the most important can get more than just a hotel room(Villas, Presidential Crown Suites, Residence Suites) something CC.com can't give.

Boston...
Level Contributor
263 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lifestyles - Shareholders Not Able to Offer Gold Bracelets

Lux - you are correct. The benefits are still far greater renting through an owner, as you describe. Therefor, if it is a level playing field, and ALL members are under the SAME restriction (and all Shareholders will find out), no MEMBER is better or worse off. I know that there are still plenty of people out there who will feel it is still a bargain and they will definitely have better benefits than going through CC i.e.Complete range of accommodations to choose from, more and better beaches, more and better restaurants, etc. I don't think that the enforcement of existing rules (these are NOT new!) that members have been abusing, is a make or break situation. While it may disappoint guests who have been allowed gold bands before, first time visitors will really have nothing different to compare it to and will still have a far better time than going through CC.

I think it's important to reiterate that these are not NEW rules. These are in all member's contracts. It has so widely been abused by members that the resort is correct in saying "Hey, you know what, why should someone become a member if they can get virtually the same benefits if they are not members?" DUH!!!

--- Bob