We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

riu merengue locals holiday makers

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
riu merengue locals holiday makers

I have read many threads stating that the hotel opens up to local holiday makers. It seems that the Dominicans have a bank holiday at the end of may and I am dreading it as it is the last couple of days we are on holiday. Is it really as bad as people make out and if so any tips on avoiding such destruction. Thanks in advance

uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: riu merengue locals holiday makers

I will take your advice and look forward to taking some trips while here. Thank you again :)

Uttoxeter, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: riu merengue locals holiday makers

I have been to Riu and am going again in June to be truthful I never noticed the locals only found the Bachata pool was a bit rowdy at the weekend but nothing out of order have been to Dominican 6 times have noticed all hotels are busier at the weekend but never had any complaints as an ex rep for a UK tour operator have seen much worse in European resorts and thankfully for once the only drunks I saw were not Brits or Dominicans wouldn't worry about it heard the same thing for years in Spain..there were too many Spanish in the hotels, so there are people who will be like that no matter where they go. We should all remember we are guests in their country no matter where we travel. Enjoy your hols

uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: riu merengue locals holiday makers

Thank you tiggycat for your reply I thought that this would be the case as with most hotels but this was what seems a mountain made out if a mole hill I really am rest assured now thanks to both yourself and Nancy (previous comments) I just can't wait ti get there now :)

Uttoxeter, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: riu merengue locals holiday makers

You will have a great time and the Mambo pool is always quieter and as you have the choice of the three pools its not a problem, to be truthful the only time I would avoid go is Spring break which is past now anyway, as was in another smaller hotel and that was a bit rowdy but not excessive either but I loved the Riu I was in the old Mambo side and we went to a different pool every day, am counting down the days till I go in June you will have a great time

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: riu merengue locals holiday makers

necj28 when r u going??

uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: riu merengue locals holiday makers

I will be there till end of may

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: riu merengue locals holiday makers

we go 22-29

Wirral
Level Contributor
955 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: riu merengue locals holiday makers

Just found this link to Dominican Culture on 'Tours by James' website. It put my mind at rest.

https:/…dominican-culture

I was a little concerned like you but not bothered now.We're going in August.

Enjoy your hols!

Paula

Uttoxeter, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: riu merengue locals holiday makers

Having read this link of yours Paula I agree, to be truthful the first time I went I thought when we came out the airport..OMG...lol..what have I done, coming here. The journey to the hotel didn't help seeing people living in huts and ignorantly I had mistaken poverty with misery. When I got to the hotel I thought I wont be leaving here till the coach comes back for us in two weeks. I was so mistaken the people are so so friendly even the children,they have nothing material but their wee faces are smiling every day, and after speaking to rep friends who assured me it was safe to go out was out and about every day and night and am so glad I did. Its another world but it makes you realise you don't need 2 cars and a plasma tv to be happy, also go to the pound shop before I go and get wee toys for the kids, and reading glasses as well and take them with me and my friends who has two toddlers gives me some clothes that hers have grown out of and they are always very much appreciated..Fell in love with the country and hope have the health to go for many many years to come. As James says they are just louder than us its their way it is a culture shock but just go with the flow hope you will love it as much as I do Maria x

Wirral
Level Contributor
955 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: riu merengue locals holiday makers

Cant wait Maria!!!! We went to Kenya a couple of years ago and that was a massive culture shock!! but what lovely people!! If anything us westerners are the ones lacking in social skills with all our gadgets. I'm looking forward to getting out and about and experiencing the real Dominican. Yeh we're planning on taking some stuff with us.

Paula.