We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newest Lifestyle Tropical Review - Theft

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Center Valley...
Level Contributor
849 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Newest Lifestyle Tropical Review - Theft

Has anyone seen the new (very lengthy) review on the Tropical page, focused on theft? I'm not sure what to make of it, but, my initial reaction is that it's complete bullocks, and the chick is just looking to get a free vacation. I mean, THEY were targeted, and no one else? A resort staff member took the time to break into their room and go through their luggage? I mean, that's a real risk. (1) These people are so incredibly grateful to have jobs in this country, especially at a resort such as Lifestyles. (2) I would think anyone would be smart enough as to not be going through luggage, etc, in case the people come back to their room. I mean, if someone was going to steal, don't you think they'd do a quick sweep to see if there are any valuables? And wouldn't it be more of a widespread problem than ONE person, ONE room?

Center Valley...
Level Contributor
849 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newest Lifestyle Tropical Review - Theft

Not to mention, she says that they couldn't get a safe key (although the safe keys are always available????), so they went to dinner and left $500 CASH in their room?!?! I mean, how stupid can you get, to leave that much cash laying around? Seriously. I don't know why I'm so upset about this inflammatory review, but, I guess it's just because I consider Lifestyles to be my "second home" and look forward to vacationing here for year and years to come. The staff are so sweet and wonderful, to boot. I feel like this girl is just trying to get something for nothing (she specifically states in her review that she wants a full refund)...and who knows how many lives she can ruin (people getting fired) in the process???

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
487 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Newest Lifestyle Tropical Review - Theft

Also the staff are searched before they leave the resort, we have made friends with many of the workers and brought them gifts and clothing our child out grew and we hade to give them a note detailing every item we gave them. If they tried leaving with $500 in cash there is no way they made that much in tips in a day and if they are caught stealing they will never work in the tourism industry again.

If there was a theft and it is apparently questionable if there was, it probably was another guest.

Center Valley...
Level Contributor
849 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newest Lifestyle Tropical Review - Theft

I've reported the review as suspicious. I hope TA removes it. I'm seething. As you know, Lux, we are planning as buying in as shareholder beneficiaries, so I will have a vested interest in this resort....I just think there's something totally "off" about this person's review. I've been trying to help out with TA issues since last year...giving suggestions to my other shareholder contact, who relayed them to the resort. That was around the time that the "management team" started posting responses (possibly because of the things I brought to their attention). Anyway...this is just a shame.

Somerset, New Jersey
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newest Lifestyle Tropical Review - Theft

This type of incidents destroys resort's reputation and they do occur rarely as per some of the reviews I have read over the years. All the resorts I have been to, I never experienced such an incident and all employees I met and dealt with appeared to be genuinely good people. It is not easy however to conclude what actually took place but I was expecting a formal response from the resort management explaining the situation.

new jersey
Level Contributor
801 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newest Lifestyle Tropical Review - Theft

wow good luck proving it did not happen or will never happen. last trip the person changing the air filter took the maids tip and a note of thanks. but that was easy to solve he left the vent open. but can't prove it didn't see it. keep in mind sometimes it is the least likely people you would expect. maybe you can sue them for making it up. after all you are an owner. but you need more then them wanting a total refund to go on..

Center Valley...
Level Contributor
849 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newest Lifestyle Tropical Review - Theft

funtimes85 - All I'm saying is that the story seems incredibly fishy. Further to that, she specifically asks for a full refund in all caps in the middle of her review on TripAdvisor. I've learned in life that some people will do just about anything to get something for nothing, and this could ruin a resort's reputation, or the lives of the employees accused, in the process. Again, I just think there is something very "off" about the story. Having been to the resort, I am familiar with how the safe keys work. Each safe has a designated key, and that key is kept at the front desk with the room keys in the event that the person occupying the room opts for a safe key. To say that she was told the safe key was "unavailable" is ridiculous in and of itself. And then, she goes to her room, already having a funny feeling about there being no safe key available, and she decides to leave $500 in CASH laying around her room? And then claims that the money was wrapped in underwear which was wrapped in clothes which was buried at the bottom of a LOCKED suitcase, and someone came into the room and opened the suitcase? How? Did they leave the key for the suitcase lock in the room too? Because nowhere in her review does she say that the suitcase lock was broken, or that the suitcase was broken into. So, you're telling me you have a funny feeling about not being given a safe key, but then you choose to leave $500 CASH in your room along with the only key (for the suitcase) that is protecting your money? Why not take the suitcase lock key with you? Heck, why not take the $500 cash with you? She said they were just going to dinner. Not like they were going to the beach or the pool. So why wasn't this cash loaded wallet in her husband's pant pocket? Or in her purse / bag? Again, seems to me like a case of someone perhaps paying for a vacation and expecting a certain level of access at the resort, being upset that they couldn't access VIP areas like Serenity Beach, etc, and then wanting a refund for their trip. Obviously they wouldn't get it unless some big elaborate story was made up, and even in this case, I doubt she'll get a refund anyway.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
487 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Newest Lifestyle Tropical Review - Theft

Kelly, I just read the full review and in my opinion it does seem very fishy.

They leave behind in a locked suitcase that is unlocked when they check in the morning-

1- his wallet, 2,- cell phones 3 - passports 4- don't mention her purse

My thoughts on this

1- I have never left my wallet in the room on any vacation be it D R or elsewhere even when we go to the beach or pool it is in my fanny pack (yes I use one HaHa) or our carry on that we take with us for sunscreen cigarettes and other things.

2- They dig through their suitcase find his wallet pack everything back and don't find or take their cellphones then those are very neat but not very good thieves!

3- Like the wallet Iwould never leave my passports or airline tickets in the room unless they were in the safe.

4- They don't mention if her purse was left in the room, I am assuming she brought on vacation with them since my wife always brings her purse on vacation so I guess she had it with her WHY did they not put that in her purse then none of these things weigh much or take much space.

Now these are just my opinions but something just doesn't seem quite right about the whole situation.

Center Valley...
Level Contributor
849 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newest Lifestyle Tropical Review - Theft

Lux - totally agreed. I tried having the post removed as suspicious, but it's still up. She doesn't mention any staff names, a police report or even a report from the resort, etc. She has absolutely no facts to substantiate her claims and I also find it HIGHLY suspicious that not a thing is said about any specific places on the resort, the food, etc. You really expect me to believe that AFTER all of your money was stolen, and you had nothing left to lose (who would want your passports????), you stayed in your room for the entire week? Didn't see a show, swim in a pool, go to the beach? Come on.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newest Lifestyle Tropical Review - Theft

In all the years we've been going to Lifestyles, most of them in the Tropical, we have never had any trouble with missing items. We do use a safe and keep passports, docs and cash inside, but we sometimes leave some cash, (not large amounts) cameras and netbook on the dresser. Any presents we buy are in an unlocked suitcase. We have always found the staff very trustworthy. We heard from a Dominican who now lives in Canada and is well experienced in the hotel trade that if someone is sacked for theft, they will never work in any hotel on the Island again. I also noticed this year that when the fridges were restocked, a security officer accompanied the staff member.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
487 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Newest Lifestyle Tropical Review - Theft

Actually since sefton just reminded mentioned it we were in Cofresi Palms for nine days before moving to the Villa and my laptop was out 75% of the time and not a thing happened.