We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plug Adaptors

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Plug Adaptors

Does anyone know if you have to bring an electrical plug adaptor to the Dominican in order to plug in your electronics (ie: curling iron, camera battery charger, etc). Or do they have the same type of plugs/electricity as Canada? Thanks!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
314 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plug Adaptors

Same voltage as Canada 110V. Cuba has both 110/220V but from what I remember it is north american voltage in DR.

Saba
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Plug Adaptors

It is the same voltage but you will need an adaptor. The shape of the plug sockets are different and you won't be able to get your plug in the socket without one.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
314 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plug Adaptors

I had no problem with the sockets, didn't need an adaptor, maybe it depends on the resort you stay at. Maybe you can check with your resort.

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Plug Adaptors

So, which kind of adaptor do I need exactly? I have a European 3-400. It basically is a slim rectangle with two skinny cylinder shaped metal peices coming out the top. Does this seem right? Stupid question I know, but thanks for all your replies!

Saint Paul, MN
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Plug Adaptors

If your plug has one prong that is bigger, it wil not fit, you will need an adaptor.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
314 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plug Adaptors

The kind of prong that Sameegirl is talking about is the square prong, one slightly larger than the other, they are on nearly all N. A. appliances, you can file the larger prong just slightly to make it fit, I know you are not supposed to, but it will work. I think you will be fine without an adaptor, as I said before we did not have a problem of any kind, I am heading down there in Feb. myself and I am not anticipating any problems. We have charged our camera batteries,electric razors etc. When are you going, and where are you staying?

Saba
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Plug Adaptors

I stayed at the Rui Bachata and needed an adaptor.

Parlin, New Jersey
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plug Adaptors

We stayed at the Merengue and needed an adapter. I was so surprised when I went to use the outlet to recharge my cell phone.... The outlet is for 110v but the the holes are inset into a protruding circle.... So if your appliance has a square box (like my traveling hair blower) it can not fit into the outlet...Same with my cell phone charger....I couldn't believe it. Not one outlet in the room was made so I can use my boxed plugs...I could only use it if it had a regular prong head....The prongs weren't the problem it was the shape of the outlet... I went to the desk and they told me I had to buy an adapter in the shop......It was only $2.00 USA but it was so small that my applicance would fall out of the socket anyway.....Maybe you should bring an adapter & some tape.........That was the only inconvenice I found in the room........The shape of the Outlets....weird....Only good if you have normal appliance heads.....not anything boxed.........There were NO hair blowers in the Merengue........bring your own.....with a proper plug....no squares.....LARGE SQUARES DON'T FIT INTO SMALL CIRCLES.....

Saba
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Plug Adaptors

Not sure what hotel you are staying at but there are hairdryers at the Bachata.

No irons in the room.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
314 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plug Adaptors

Jerseylady: That really is weird, I have never seen anything like that, and I guess like you I will have to buy an adaptor, thanks " FunInTheSun20" for the question and everyone else for all the answers, you learn something new everyday.