We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worried and Confused

Ro
ONT, Canada
10 posts
Save Topic
worried and Confused

My Friend and I are leaving for Puerto Plata on January 4th.

This whole malaria scare has just made us both confused on wether or not we should take the Meds.

Is it true that u cant drink when ur on the meds? is it true u cant stay in the sun too long??

and what if the side effects ruin our trip :S ... someone HELP !!!

thanks

Kingston, ON
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: worried and Confused

Hi....

Just take the meds as a precaution and have your Hep A shot up to date and have fun.

The side effects are usually minimal to none to the meds being prescribed for this type of malaria. I've heard that the meds can cause some senstivity to the sun but it's not in all people....it's a pretty passive warning..."can cause some" isn't a big warning..if it was it would say DO NOT GO IN THE SUN. : )

Also, I don't think you should necessarily wash your meds down with 151 proof rum but from what I've heard from others it's not a big concern to enjoy your drinks while you are away. Chloroquine is only taken once a week anyway. You need to start the meds a week before you go so get some and go have fun!

Regina, Saskatchewan
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: worried and Confused

Hi There, I just got the meds. I haven't started taking them yet, cause I leave n Jan 18. But these are the side effects listed on the Healthwatch form:

May decrease appitie

occasionally it may cause stinging or itching

may cause diarrhea

and may cause nausea or rarely vomiting

There is nothing listed about staying out of the sun or not drinking when you are on the medication. I hope this helps!

Kingston, ON
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: worried and Confused

On the Healthwatch form I got with the meds (from Shopper D.M) in the first paragraph is states to avoid taking meds with spicy foods, and alcohol. It's doesn't mean don't drink while you are there, just means be aware of that on the day you take them.

And it was the pharmasist who said it can cause sensitivity to the sun but again....it's in some people...not everyone.

Sault Ste Marie
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: worried and Confused

Try asking your doctor !!!!!!!

Sault Ste Marie
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: worried and Confused

Try asking your doctor !!!!!!!

Vantaa, Finland
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: worried and Confused

I have been informed that in Puerto Plata area there is no malaria and it is enough just to try to avoid mosquito bites. If you are travelling to Punta Cana area or rural places ( in east), then you are adviced to take malaria meds. But yes, I think also that it would be best to ask your doctor.