We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian vs American $$

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
Canadian vs American $$

Hi All,

This will be our first trip to Puerto Plata and I am just wondering what is better to take?

We usually go to Mexico and we have no problems converting Canadian money there.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cazzy

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
564 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Canadian vs American $$

we were advised by our travel agent to take american cash. there is exchange kiosks at most hotels and in POP, and caberete. we also had canadian money on us, but at the money exchange they exchanged it in to dominican pesos (RD). american money was readily accepted. last time we were in mexico, the vendors were even accepting canadian money because of its strength, but in DR it seemed like everyone prefered the american cash. jmho, of course....have a fab holiday. (hopefully you are not leaving calgary any time this week, looks like the temps will be comparable to that of POP this week).

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,292 posts
74 reviews
2. Re: Canadian vs American $$

All the exchange kiosks (at the airport, in towns, etc.) post rates for US$, C$, and Euro. In other words, you can easily convert Canadian cash into Dominican Pesos.

Pesos are the easiest thing to spend down there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
291 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Canadian vs American $$

Just today I went to TD Bank and got 60 US$ in 1$ bills for tips. I always take US$ for tips and if I am planning any excursions.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,293 posts
351 reviews
4. Re: Canadian vs American $$

You can easilly exchange your CD for pesos however you will get a much better exchange rate using USD. Yesterday at my bank the posted rate was 34.30 for USD and 32 for CD.

BObK

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,292 posts
74 reviews
5. Re: Canadian vs American $$

I beg to differ on the better-exchange-rate part. Yesterday the C$ went down against the US$ on world markets, so the difference you mentioned seems about right, considering.

When I was in DR a few months back, the rates for US$ and C$ both looked about right at the various places I looked; I knew in advance roughly what they should be.

I wouldn't recommend doing a double conversion, C$ --> US$ --> Peso, unless you already have some US$ lying around. Every conversion does cost you a bit of money...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
6. Re: Canadian vs American $$

Thanks All!!

Very helpfull.

We will be taking US - 1$ for tips. I think we will take a combination of both :)

LOL not going until January so we can still enjoy the wonderful Calgary weather.

Thanks again,

Cazzy

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
89 reviews
7. Re: Canadian vs American $$

US $1 bills are so much more useful than the Loonie coin. We once had a maid knock on our door and hand us a fistful of Loonies and Toonies (which we hadn't left for her) and said, "Can't use.....you take." Of course we gave her the equivalent in US dollars which made her very happy. We got really excellent service from her the rest of our holiday.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,293 posts
351 reviews
8. Re: Canadian vs American $$

Regardless of what the rate of exchange is between the USD and the CD, you wil ALWAYS get a worse exchange rate with CD when changing to peoss.

BObK

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
9. Re: Canadian vs American $$

I'm solidly with B0bK on this one.

As a Canadian I always take $US cash and exchange as required at a casa de cambio. I keep $US in one pocket and $RD pesos in the other and pay with whatever gets me the best deal.

I have never yet (in almost 20 trips) failed to make several cervesas or more extra, vs exchanging $CDN for $RD pesos.

The other way exchange rates make sense is to withdraw $RD pesos from your bank account at home at an ATM because the exchange rate used is usually very good but there is also usually a service charge.

Gregg

10. Re: Canadian vs American $$

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 07, 2009