We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SDQ late night safety

Which Santo Domingo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Inland NW
Level Contributor
11 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
SDQ late night safety

I feel like I am being silly as I have flown all over the world and been in all sorts of places but i have a 250a flight out of Santo Domingo...and for some reason I am concerned about the safety. Not so much of the airport but just getting a cab that late from the hotel.

Any input of easing commentary?

Thanks!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SDQ late night safety

At 2:50 in the morning, the airport is actually still relatively busy, and always heavily patrolled. as carriers like JetBlue and Gol have flights that arrive and leave late at night or very early in the morning.

At that time of night, arrange for transportation to pick you up or use the official taxi stand after you go outside on the arrivals floor. They are expensive but safe. Cheaper taxis can be had by going upstairs but I wouldn't recommend for a newbie or at that time of night. The taxi mafia has a website now so you know what to look for and the fares to some destinations.

http://www.taxisichala.com/

Inland NW
Level Contributor
11 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SDQ late night safety

Thanks! I am actually flying OUT...not in at that time. I really appreciate the feedback!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SDQ late night safety

Sorry, I didn't pick up FROM the hotel. :) Most safety issues at that time are from the airport rather than going to. (and even that is rare)

Inland NW
Level Contributor
11 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SDQ late night safety

Cool-and thanks again!

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SDQ late night safety

If you stay in a hotel let the hotel get you a taxi. most hotels work with reliable guys..

If they do not have their own guy.. let them ask call an official taxi company who can pick u up.

other option is using on of the companies like dominican shuttles etc

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,177 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SDQ late night safety

Curtraveller is correct. At that hour have the hotel arrange a cab for you or use one of the shuttle services. I would not, as a tourist with luggage, just get a cab off the street.

BObK

7. Re: SDQ late night safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, May 27, 2013
8. Re: SDQ late night safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, January 29, 2016
Harlingen, TX
Level Contributor
670 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SDQ late night safety

@juankeli: No, you didn't. You work for that company and you are a spammer trying to solicit business. Self-promotion is NOT allowed on TripAdvisor.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SDQ late night safety

Call Apolo Taxi to be picked up to go to the airport or have the hotel call at (809) 537-0000 they are a reputable company and will only charge 1000 pesos. Many of the hotels will arrange a taxi back to the airport, but will charge gringo prices. I wouldn't pick up any stray cab at that hour with all my luggage, but calling a taxi and having it sent to you is fine.