We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Santo Domingo from Samana- Bus info/ what to do?

Which Santo Domingo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Santo Domingo from Samana- Bus info/ what to do?

Hi! I'm wanting to take a day trip from Samana to SD. I have no idea about the bus system. I am staying at the El Portillo Hotel. How can I get to the bus stop where I need to catch the express bus to SD? How far is it from El Portillo? What times do the express bus leave Samana/ SD? What do you recommend doing for a day in SD? Fav stores/places to eat? Thanks so much! :)

Las Galeras...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Santo Domingo from Samana- Bus info/ what to do?

The Caribe Express Bus 'stop' is virtually next door to Banco Popular on the Malecon. They have a website with current bus times on. Most visitors to SD go to the Colonial Zone which is full of restaurants, bars shops etc. I'm not sure where the Caribe Tours bus stops in SD but will find out for you!

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Santo Domingo from Samana- Bus info/ what to do?

The bus stop in SD is not that far from the Colonial Zone, an easy Taxi ride. Your biggest problem is time. There is not enough time in the day to bus in, sight see, bus out of SD. You really need to stay an overnight or two. Also, be sure to take one of the buses that goes via the toll road to save a lot of time.

caribetours.com.do/index.php/…get_travel

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Santo Domingo from Samana- Bus info/ what to do?

You would need to get the first 7am) and last bus (4.30pm) from Samana to make it worthwhile. The Caribe Tour bus station is at junction of Av 27 Feberero and Av Leopoldo Navarro iNS anto Domingo. From there you would need a taxi to the Zona Colonial - ask for Parque Independencia./El Conde. Cost about 200pesos. El Conde is the main shopping street and at the end is the cathedral. The Zona is laid out on a grid plan - lots to see.and do. IMO it would be worth a night there. IMO the nicest day there is a Sunday (+ the taxi time from the station to the Zona would be be quicker/more reliable).

Alernatively if you found some other people you could share a taxi - guarantee you get back!

Best place to eat - Meson de Bari (crab empandadas.)

Best place for a coffee - la cafeterra in El Conde (oppoiste the multi storey (low) carpark).

Best place for beer - nay colmado.

the Zona is not full of huge monuments etc but it is great on atmosphere and is the real Dominican Republic. Enjoy walking around it is safe- all you need is a map/guide though you meet plenty of people wanting to help you. Other than the groups of day trippers it real gets very few tourists.,

Edited: 2:57 pm, March 12, 2013
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Santo Domingo from Samana- Bus info/ what to do?

Hi!

How did it go? any insight to share?

I'll be going in 10 days by myself and am wondering what's the best way to get to samana from santo domingo, is it by express bus? the caribe tours site is not very helpful. also, in samana, where did you stay? any recommendations? i'm not into super touristy destinations and such, i'd prefer something more low key and authentic, but am totally open to suggestions.

thanks in advance for your help!! :)

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Santo Domingo from Samana- Bus info/ what to do?

I answered your other post vana, from SD to Samana there are 5 Caribe tours buses/day, modern coaches, cheap and easy. On the Caribe Tours site, click on Precios for the schedule or call them as you espeak Spanish. Samana and Las Galeras are very very good.

6. Re: Day trip to Santo Domingo from Samana- Bus info/ what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 17, 2014