We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dominican dishes!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
394 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
Dominican dishes!

any specific foods/dishes that are distinct to the Dom. Rep. that are a must try? Same question about rums/beers/cigars? thanks!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
10 reviews
113 helpful votes
1. Re: Dominican dishes!

An easy to find meal is the "Dominican flag" being traditional beans and rice often with chicken. If you ask most Dominicans their fave food, they'll say their Mom's beans and rice! You can also find a bunch of plantain selections, from mashed and spiced to sliced and fried. There is goat (chivo) served on most menus in restaurants and is a traditional meal as well. Sancocho is a soup full of a bunch of meats which makes it too expensive for many homes to serve on a regular basis but loved by all. I've never tasted better fried chicken than in the DR and I think that's because of the quality of bird. When asked, their coating is nothing special so it can't be that. They tend to use different oils than we do so maybe that could be a factor too. For dessert, look for Tres Leches Cake which is a Caribbean favourite and much served in the DR as well. Coconut milk sauces and dressings are often traditional too.

If you're staying at a resort, you may find some of these things only on Dominican night in the buffet or at a Dominican a la carte, but if dining in the restaurants of Santo Domingo, you'll find them everywhere.

Kaki

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
394 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Dominican dishes!

thanks kaki!

Illinois
Level Contributor
259 posts
27 reviews
34 helpful votes
3. Re: Dominican dishes!

Presidente beer. That used to be just about the only beer you could get there. Now there are more options but nothing is as good as an icy Presidente!

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
25 reviews
89 helpful votes
4. Re: Dominican dishes!

Dominican gastronomy is quite large. Many peolpe get surprised how delicious it can be.

As Kaki says, the "dominican flag" (bandera) is the most common food, but I must say that only among the more popular class dominicans. It is weird seing a middle to high class dominican having this on a regular basis...

Its called "bandera" because its rice, dominican style stewed beans (habichuelas), and meat. Not necesarely chicken, it can be any kind of meat but its has to be stewed (in sauce).

So the rice represents the white of the dominican flag, the beans the red, and the meat the blue.

The dominican fried chicken or "Picapollo" ist also popular among dominicans, but again, not among high class dominicans. This is something that you would buy on the streets, not served at home as a meal.

The dominican meals as such would are many, like the SANCOCHO, which is a stew made with SIX kinds of meats, plantains, and many kinds of root vegetables used in DR.

Its usually acoompanied with boiled rice, and avocado slices.

CHIVO GUISADO is stewed goat meat. Its delicious specially in the mid part of the country. (Anyone ever passing by Típico Bonao restaurant, this is a MUST)

GUANDULES: (pigeon peas). Always stewed. Delicios on their own, as a soup, or served with rice.

PUERCO ASADO: Roasted pork. Mostly on the midlands and north, this is a very tipical meal.

Also the fried version ("chicharrón" version) which is very common specially in the area of Villa Mella, at Santo Domingo, where there are dozend of places selling it on the streets!

MOFONGO: its a mashed green plantain (never ripe), mixtured with roasted pork and roasted garlic. Its delicious but sooooo fatenning!

Its served on a popular way, inside the "pilon" used to smash the herbs in the kitchen, and accompanied with some pork stock.(served like that in the restaurants too!)

www.iberimage.com/es/fotodetalle.jsp…

There is a delicious verison of it with shrimps,or crab.

MANGU: Its the dominican breakfast!. Its a puree of green planatins and served with sauted onions on top. Its eaten with fried eggs, and you can find it at ALL HOTELS on weekends specially, for the local dominican market.

MONDONGO: Its a dish made with the inner parts of the cow and pork.

LAMBI: This is the inside mollusc of the big conch. Its taste is like a mixture of octupus and squid only better, and so is its texture.

Its made stewed and served with rice, or on vinagrete as an entrance or salad.

PESCADO DE SAMANA: This is the Fish made Samana Style, wich is a red tomato based sauce, with coconut milk. Spectacular.

PASTELONES: Over here dominicans make a lot of these. They are baked type of pies. Made of ripe plantains, or aubergines(eggplant) which are higly consumed over here, vegetalbles...etc....

There are infinity of them, and I find that from home to home they change a lot!

I can't forget the PASTEL EN HOJA. This is really part of the dominican culture. Its a 'PIE' of green planatin puree with meat in the inside, and then wrapped in the plantain tree leaves. Then is boiled in that package, and served like that.

The list is quite large... and there are plenty of starters or appetisers, like the famous KIPES, wich are or arabic origin and sold even at streets. They are wheat croquetts with minced met inside. (dipped in spicy tomato sauce is the way to go!)

Ar the popular EMPANADAS and PASTELITOS, whicha are tiny pies filled with meat, or cheese, or lambí, or crab....ou name it!.

Also, the popluar among the kids YANIQUEQUE, which is a fried flour tortilla, and sold at popular public beaches.

There are also famous desserts, like the fruit sweet chutenys and marmalades served with Queso de Hoja (goat cheese). These sweet chutnays are made of orange, papaya, mango, guayaba, coconut..... you name it!

HABICHUELAS CON DULCE, tipical from Easter period, which are dominican beans cooked with cinammon, sweet potatoes, raisind and milk buiscuits and served very cold (delicious!!!)

TRES LECHES: an extremelly popular and commertial sweet type of pudding, made with three types of milk. Normal milk, evaporated milk, and condensed milk.

Bowen Island, Canada
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
11 helpful votes
5. Re: Dominican dishes!

Wow, I'm going to have to copy that list - it sounds positively yummy! Thanks Monica!!

Storm 8-)

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
7 helpful votes
6. Re: Dominican dishes!

You can find most if not all of this type of info at www.dominicancooking.com

Enjoy.

Gregg

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
25 reviews
89 helpful votes
7. Re: Dominican dishes!

Stormlost, if you are looking for something special, you can always count on me.

One of my passions is cooking, must have inheritated it from my mother :), and over here I love getting inside the dominican kitchen and learn some trully dominican dishes and their tricks.

My mother in law has a cook working at her house whom is really worth to "steal away" for a restaurant and turn her into a propper Chef!

With her I have learnt some amazing dishes, from both here and abroad.

Bowen Island, Canada
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
11 helpful votes
8. Re: Dominican dishes!

Monica,

We will be at Dreams La Romana from March 23 until April 20. I'm taking my laptop to stay in touch with folk when/as I am able. I know you visit the area often - would love to hook up - you can show me what you know!! Would also like to get some of your opinions on visiting Santo Domingo. It is taking every dime we have to afford this trip so I don't yet know what would be left over for taking side trips - won't know until I get there, I suspect.

Also going to connect with Maria from Hambrientos de Todo - I have a few items for her.

Looking forward to the trip, the experience - and making friends with the folk I have met via the various forums.

Hope you'll be one of them.

Storm (-8

new york
Level Contributor
246 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
9. Re: Dominican dishes!

a few dishes to add locrio de picapica, moro de habichuela, asopao, spagheti con pollo, arroz con fideo, asadura, vofe, patica de puerco,chicharode de pollo, verenjena con carnes, tayota con carnes, ect

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
10 reviews
113 helpful votes
10. Re: Dominican dishes!

A good friend of mine in Benerito LOVES the patica de puerco! I haven't developed the tongue for it yet...

Kaki