We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is Santo Domingo for a first time visitor?

Chicago
1 post
Save Topic
How safe is Santo Domingo for a first time visitor?

This is my first time in Santo Domingo and I've heard good and bad things about the surrounding areas. Does anyone have any advice on where to go and where not go?

Twin Lakes...
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is Santo Domingo for a first time visitor?

The hubby and I were in Santo Domingo a year ago and we loved it.I felt very safe in the Colonial zone as politur(tourist police) were everywhere and they do speak English. One of them walked me six blocks when I asked him the best place to buy bulk coffee.Being from Chicago(a city I'm very familiar with),you'll be blown away with the shopping on El Conde. It's not just the souvenir stuff you'd find at the beach resorts, it's some high end stuff at unbelievable prices.

I would advise finding a guide(ask at your hotel) when you visit the historical sights tho, as there are a lot of people hanging around those places trying to sell stuff and a guide can act as a buffer. Noone bothered us in 3 days, maybe just lucky.

The only place I felt a little uneasy was waiting for a taxi on a dark street in front of a restaurant someone recommended outside of the Colonial zone.All turned out well but I don't think I'd do that again.

Good luck with your trip.

I wish we were going back soon.

vancouver
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is Santo Domingo for a first time visitor?

i am a single female in my 20s that was travelling alone to santo domingo for the first time. i speak very basic spanish but was in SD volunteering for most of february.

before i left people warned me that santo domingo can be very unsafe especially for a female travelling alone. i stayed in the zona colonial the whole time and when i arrived there i felt that the city had an amazing vibe and i NEVER felt unsafe. people are incredibly friendly, there are tonnes of amazing tourist attractions, excellent restaurants, cafes, bars and discos so youll always have something to do.

just have fun and use your common sense...santo domingo is as safe/unsafe as any other city in the world! youll love it. have a great trip!!

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is Santo Domingo for a first time visitor?

santo dsomingo is safe but you cannot be going to bad areas, because we have bad areas like all the cities in the world

zona colonial is safe

allways take a taxi from a company not a taxi in the street

Illinois
Level Contributor
255 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is Santo Domingo for a first time visitor?

Just got back from Santo Domingo. We stayed in the colonial zone and wandered around most of the city. There is a lot to do in the Colonial Zone. The Malecon has less cafes/restaurants, but it's nice to be able to walk along the water. We were also in the Oriental Zone during the day. I felt safe everywhere I went. We took a bus to Boca Chica and a bus to Palenque. The experience of getting to Palenque and the beach itself was something definitly off the tourist path. We had a great time. Everyone was friendly and no one seemed to mind that we were the only tourists on the beach. Use common sense as you would at home especially after dark.

5. Re: How safe is Santo Domingo for a first time visitor?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, September 24, 2009