We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Samana - Royal Golden

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Gran Bahia Samana - Royal Golden

Hi everyone! I am leaving for this resort with my husband on Feb. 26, 2007 for 2 weeks. Can anyone advise me of the following:

What does the fitness center look like (or gym)?

What type of currency is needed here - American or Pesos?

Does it help if we tip the staff?

Has the service improved since it has opened?

Is there any shade on the beach to place your chairs under?

Looking forward to a peaceful, romantic getaway. Do not need water sports to keep us busy.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or if you will be there at the same time as us.

Thanks

Judy

Ontario
2 posts
1. Re: Gran Bahia Samana - Royal Golden

Just got back on Sunday, Jan 7th...

Fitness Centre - 2 bikes, 1 elliptical and free weights - a bit of a joke.

US or Dominican Pesos are both accepted pretty much everywhere. Just be careful if you decide to convert to local currency.

Tipping didn't seem to make a difference as service was uniformly poor.

A bit of shade on the [smallish] beach.

Transat Tours have really been misleading in terms of advertised details and actual conditions on the resort. We paid extra for the "Deluxe Gold" package - what a rip! THe 'exclusive' features were nowhere to be found or under construction. I personally give them at least a year before the hype comes anywhere close to actual conditions!

My suggestion is to switch to another resort if possible. If you're sold on the Bahia Principe chain, try the Punta Cana BP. Otherwise, I would consider a different chain altogether.

2. Re: Gran Bahia Samana - Royal Golden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, August 23, 2009