We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana, Samana or Puerto Plata

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Cana, Samana or Puerto Plata

My husband and I are planning a trip to Domincan Republic on September. We would like to know what is the best place to enjoy nice beaches but also to have some excursions. We would also like to know if you need to rent a car or there are other ways -less expensive- to transport en each place. Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks for your help

Leeds, Engalnd
Level Contributor
2,888 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana, Samana or Puerto Plata

hey depends on type of holiday ...

Punta Cana is very resort based not much to do off resort but u can do all the organised excursions, really nice beaches

Puerto Plata, resorts not so big, beaches nice, loads to do off resort

not been to saman so can not comment

The advice always given on TA is do not drive in the DR, either get a taxi or bus or motoconcho

hope this helps

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,842 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana, Samana or Puerto Plata

Best bet is to fly into POP for Cabarete which has the beach and much else to do. Also could fly into LRM for La Romana/Bayahibe. Both areas have real local life and excursions.

If you want to AI Veg then Punta Cana is the deal.

No flights to Samana in September for U.S. but it is a great desitination.

3. Re: Punta Cana, Samana or Puerto Plata

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, August 01, 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana, Samana or Puerto Plata

Thanks for the comments! I appreciated your help

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana, Samana or Puerto Plata

I would definitely recommend Puerto Plata. The resprts are small but they each have amazing beaches. The best part about Puerto Plata is that there is a lot of things to do off the resort. Great restaurants, more beaches, pony ride, water sports, snorkeling. I usually try to plan a trip to Puerto Plata atleast once a year. I love it.

Hope I helped!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana, Samana or Puerto Plata

Thanks you. My biggest concern about Puerto Plata is about the beaches compare to Punta Cana. I have read mixed reviews and I would love to be sure the beaches are nice in Puerto Plata. Are there turquoise as for example Cancun/Puerto Rico or Virgin island? Thanks for your comments :)

Leeds, Engalnd
Level Contributor
2,888 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana, Samana or Puerto Plata

Maria IMHO if i had to be picky ......

the best beaches are in the south ...La Romana and Bayahibe

followed by Punta Cana / Bavaro

and then Puerto plata but they are still extremely nice :-)

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana, Samana or Puerto Plata

Thank you :)

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana, Samana or Puerto Plata

Just to let you know, we have booked Puerto Plata and we are super happy about it. If anybody can give us advice about the transportation to/from the airport and in general would be great. Thanks

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
38,115 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Cana, Samana or Puerto Plata

Maria,

Which resort have you booked, then I will be able to give you more info on costs, there are plenty taxis available at the airport, if you want pre arranged transfers then I would suggest contacting Elias who has an air conditioned van, speaks very good English his cell # 809-842-5557 or go through the website Sosuataxi@hotmail.com. Here is the website where you can book directly but sometimes he takes a little time to answer due to being on the road but he will get back to you once he picks up his emails.......ask specifically for Elias when emailing though.

http://www.taxisosuacabarete.com/

Angie.