We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stomach Virus still Going Around?

NW,Indiana
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Stomach Virus still Going Around?

My husband and I were excited to visit the DR this year but friends of ours returned earlier this month with stomach viruses so now I'm extremely hesitant.

Is this common? I've read it in a few threads here and would hate to have that experience.

Leeds, Engalnd
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stomach Virus still Going Around?

where in the DR r u going ????

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
40,110 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stomach Virus still Going Around?

No the stomach virus' is not common. Its usually down to people not being used to the change in diet, not keeping rehydrated by drinking enough bottled water whilst being in the sun, too many drinks especially containing coconut milk (Pina Coladas) or cocktails with pineapple juice which are both natural laxatives.....some people on vacation tend to over do the food and drinks on an AI vacation and suffer the consequences with an upset stomach.........dont drink the water out the taps and as an extra precaution only brush your teeth with bottled water.

In all my times visiting the DR over many years now to date I have never become ill or had any stomach problems.

Angie.

england
Level Contributor
5,656 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stomach Virus still Going Around?

5 million tourists. Naturally some are going to get ill..But to let it put you off...That's a bit extreme.

Maybe you should narrow you're enquiry to the hotel they stayed at rather than a sweeping, generalised question. By the way, will you be staying at the same hotel ?

Sparky

Edited: 3:46 pm, March 27, 2012
NW,Indiana
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stomach Virus still Going Around?

Ana Maria 30 we were planning to visit Punta Cana.

Thank you for that response Angelina52!

Sparky1955 being sick after spending thousands of hard earned dollars and not being able to enjoy a planned vacation isnt extreme, if anything, its being a cautious consumer. Last year we wanted to visit the DR but was put off by the cholera outbreak so naturally we wanted to make sure that we wouldnt have any issues. They stayed at the Majestic Elegance which is where we wanted to stay and waited not so patiently for their review which was only marred by the mid grade food (their opinion) and by the fact that my friend was home for three days with a stomach virus.

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stomach Virus still Going Around?

diva im still not sure what you are asking ?

Also you have not from what i have seen stated which hotel

As for stomach virus where do you think the bigger chance of getting it are plane or resort

All my years of travel only place i have gotten terribly ill was Chicago but i have been back

Dont drink the tap water and listen to what amy says

Also after my Chicago episode i lysol my whole room and also use hand sanitizer steady on the plane and at resort

NW,Indiana
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stomach Virus still Going Around?

Northennale20 sure I did, they stayed in Punta Cana at the Majestic Elegance.

england
Level Contributor
5,656 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stomach Virus still Going Around?

Well I'm sure that there have been a few cases of stomach problems throughout the DR..

Perhaps you'd be better off looking for a holiday destination. that is absolutely germ free...

Best of luck..

Stomach Virus still going around.. Honestly...lmao

Edited: 12:42 am, March 28, 2012
Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stomach Virus still Going Around?

Where do you want to stay ??

Where do you want to stay ??

To be more specific where do you want to stay ??

NW,Indiana
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stomach Virus still Going Around?

Northernale20 we wanted to stay at the Majestic Elegance resort in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

All snark aside, thanks to those were able to answer this valid question seriously.

Leeds, Engalnd
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stomach Virus still Going Around?

diva ...u say ur friend was home with a stomach virus but u don' say if they report anyone else at the hotel had suffered from it or if any other reviews mention upset tummies ......This makes me wonder whether it was actually "going round" as u put it or whether ur freind was just an unlucky one that sometimes has a bad reaction to the different type of food / cooking that is in the DR mixed with over indulgence and lots more alcohol than usual

:-)