We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

motocaribe review

Ohio
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
motocaribe review

Fantastic! That sums it up, but I'll give details.

Before going on our tour of the north coast with Motocaribe, I'd looked for reviews on here and hadn't found any, so I guess I'm the first. This is a tour, on motorcycles, of the moutainous area (centered in Jarabacoa) and also the Samana Peninsula. The Motocaribe website (www.motocaribe.com) has tons of details and other trip reports with tons of pictures about what you do each day. Excellent reviews! My main question before going on this trip was if it was too good to be true. :) The website write-ups and pictures looked phenomenal, and the price for a motorcycle tour was less than all the others we were looking at. The answer to my question is, it WAS too good, :) but it was ALSO TRUE!

Overall, when someone asks me how our vacation went, I say, "Perfect. In any way it could have been perfect, it was." My husband says, "It was the best vacation we've ever taken." I'll skip saying and reviewing what we did on each day, as it's already on the website, but here's the 4 categories I just loved about this vacation.

1) The scenery. Wow!!! We got to see so much of the Dominican Republic!! We really got to see mountains and gorgeous lookouts the entire time we were riding the bikes. Other places we've been, I see one great lookout and think, "that was beautiful!," but this was moment after moment after moment of beautiful mountains. Amazing! The beaches were fantastic! Rincon beach - nothing like it anywhere! We rode through jungle-looking area and that was fascinating, and we saw great caves and rock formations. If you like nature, this is a trip to take!

2) The activities. This is a motorcycle tour, so we were riding, and that was awesome! through such great scenery. But it didn't stop there. We got to swim in and behind a secluded waterfall, swam in a crystal-clear lagoon, snorkeled at the beach, went horseback riding, and hiked to a different waterfall. There was so much fun! It was more than just a motorcycle tour where you ride all day, and that's great, but we kept stopping at amazing different sites to do different things, and it was wonderful! My husband and I love all-inclusives, but we do tend to get a bit bored unless we plan a bunch of excursions. This Motocaribe tour is like having paid for a new, different excursion each day. They chose fantastic things to do, it's exciting, never a dull moment, and so fun!

Aside - so many people before we left were questioning if I really thought we'd be safe riding through the DR. One friend suggested I learn the Spanish word for "ransom" before going. :) I can say I felt very safe. They mentioned that any place we might potentially not feel safe, they had avoided on the tour. Also, it is a motorcycle tour, but one of the people in our group just rode in the van the entire time. You can go do all these fun things from the van, even if you don't ride.

3. The culture. I have always been so interested in cultures of other places and countries. I do think it's fun to see a tiny bit of another culture from an all-inclusive, but I think it's hard to really get an understanding of a country or culture when you're always in a tourist town. This Motocaribe tour kept us completely out of the normal tourist destinations. We saw and did a ton that the average tourist never would. In the process, I feel like I have a much better understanding of the country. As we rode past some houses, I could sometimes see in between the slats of wood that comprised the house. Very enlightening. We saw people going about their daily lives along the side of the road, riding a moto with a chicken coop full of tons of chickens attached to the back, etc. So interesting to see real life. We had Dominican food at our meals every day. Delicious (especially all that fresh fruit! Yum!) and very interesting to me. I am going to try to make red beans and white rice like they did. And we were encouraged to speak Spanish, which was great fun, although I'd only ever taken French and German, it was just so interesting to try to "get into" the culture.

4. Robert and Alida. :) Robert and Alida are the husband and wife team that comprise Motocaribe. They are wonderful people and so fun to be around! They chose perfect places to see, rides to take, places for meals and to stay. Robert is originally from the U.S. and Alida is Dominican. Alida translated everything for us that needed to be translated, and was a wealth of information about the country and the people. They were both so thoughtful and eager for us to see the country and have a great vacation. I can't give them enough compliments. They even got me a birthday cake when they found out it was my birthday while on the tour. They go above and beyond and I thoroughly enjoyed them.

I suppose this is long enough, but to sum it up - Motocaribe provides an awesome tour! We loved it!! I need to build up babysitting credits with my parents, and then we'd want to do their tour of the southwest, too! If anyone has any questions, feel free to let me know.

Jodi

Mentioned in this post
Jarabacoa
Jarabacoa
Dominican Republic
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
north carolina
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: motocaribe review

nice review. i have never been as i don't ride (they also take a van and you can tour with them even if not on a bike btw) but from what i hear it is a fine group. they also do a tour of the SW (barahona, pedernales area) that for any bike enthusiast would be heaven. robert knows the island and you will see more of the "real" places in the DR than any other way. ben

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: motocaribe review

Robert and Alida are great people. You can't go wrong with them!

3. Re: motocaribe review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:46 am, July 06, 2011
4. Re: motocaribe review

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:50 pm, July 04, 2011
5. Re: motocaribe review

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:47 pm, July 07, 2011
Edited: 2:47 pm, July 07, 2011
catlover6
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: motocaribe review

My husband and I returned from taking the MotoCaribe northeast tour a couple of days ago. I was going to write a review, but Jodi has posted such an excellent description of what was so wonderful about the trip that I will just say that we wholeheartedly agree with everything she wrote.

Robert and Alida are excellent hosts, it was a truly amazing experience, and we can't wait to return for the southwest tour!

Jeanne & Steve

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: motocaribe review

You will absolutely love the SW tour. Such a beautiful and diverse part of the island, mostly untouched by tourism.

8. Re: motocaribe review

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 6:42 am, June 22, 2013