We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Sosua safe place

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is Sosua safe place

Hi I'm travelling to the Dom rep for the time in may and stating at the casa Marina reef hotel. What I want to know is safe to leave the hotel by myself in the day and the evening for a night out. I have several different travel agents and have had a mixed response

New York City
Destination Expert
for Sosua
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Sosua safe place

Hola Gavinblundell!

In a word, yes - Sosua is generally a safe destination for tourists, day and night. Of course, it's all relative. That is to say, you'll be fine as long as you don't make yourself a 'target', i.e., wander about with your valuables clearly visible and worse yet, do so while intoxicated.

A basic rule of thumb to follow would be to pack, in addition to your sunscreen, another key travel survival item - basic common sense street smarts. Avoid deserted areas and shady and/or suspicious-looking characters. While out and about experiencing Sosua's unique sensory delights, it's best to walk with a sense of ease, but at the same time, remain aware of your surroundings, as you should anywhere you travel.

You'll find the locals are very engaging and blessed with loads of personality; they're more interested in having a good time than relieving you of your personal belongings. So by all means, go out at night and experience the myriad of nightlife options awaiting your best dance moves. Drink a Presidente or four at Sosuan hotspots like Classicos, or Latino's and during the day, lounge around and reflect upon the immense beauty that surrounds you on lovely Playa Sosua while enjoying some of the local fare provided by any number of restaurants located just behind the beach's shore.

Just relax and take it all in... There's no need (nor time) for worry. Trust me, after traveling to Sosua for the last 7 years, I've found the only thing guaranteed to be stolen is your heart... Corny, yeah I know, but ahhh, it's so true...... :-)

Buen viaje!

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Sosua safe place

Hi thankyou for the reply, it has helped alot

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,199 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Sosua safe place

I have to second Flyguys post. As long as you maintian the same vigilance you would when traveling anywhere (even at home) you should do fine. There are some great restaruants and "pubs" to visit as well as loads of shopping and two terrific beaches.

BObK

4. Re: Is Sosua safe place

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 02, 2011