We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What kind of plug adapter do I need?

Sheffield
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What kind of plug adapter do I need?

Hi,

I've just been reading some of the posts on here and a few people had mentioned convertors that are needed. Can anyone tell me what kind of plugs we need, are they the standard twin blade or the twin blade with the earthing point?

Going on monday to riu merengue and didn't even think about this, but then again we are getting married on saturday so we've lots to think about!!!

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What kind of plug adapter do I need?

standard 'USA style' twin blade is all I've ever used. Just grab one at the airport if you haven't already got one!

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
42,237 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What kind of plug adapter do I need?

The plug sockets look like this:-

www6.worldisround.com/photos/11/54/51_o.jpg

So get a travel flat 2pin from either Boots or at the airport.Like the one on the left.

www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/bn30_new2006.jpg

Angie.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
45,413 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What kind of plug adapter do I need?

Congratulations on your wedding. If you don't have a chance to get one before you come, ask the hotel. Many hotels do have adaptors and will provide them to you. I do not know if there is a supermarket close to Riu, but you will also find them at many grocery stores in the DR. Alternative, stop at the Duty Free shop in POP when you arrive. They have them there too.

Silvia

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Bambu
Hotel Riu Bambu
6,199 Reviews
Dominican Republic
England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What kind of plug adapter do I need?

Hello,

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding.

To add to the already helpful advice that you've received. Because the DR's voltage is 110 and the UK's is 240 some electrical items such as hairdryers and straighteners won't work or will take ages to heat up. So you might want to take a travel dual voltage equivalent.

Have a great day on Saturday and a wonderful holiday.

cleveland
Level Contributor
393 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What kind of plug adapter do I need?

Hi Scott , you will find a pack of travel plug adapters in the local £1 store . There are 2 in the pack one for Europe other for Americas. Can't go too wrong for £1. If you buy in the Airport they are approx £7

Ps it's the 2 pin (flat) that i used last time.

Regards Mary

Sheffield
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What kind of plug adapter do I need?

Ok.... thanks very much for the good wishes for saturday, but now you've got me thinking!

110v thing totally passed us by. We've got the usual travel items that are dual voltage but how do we solve the problem of our sons Nintendo DS. is there any kind of 110 to 240v convertor out there or will it work ok. I've had a look on the plug and it says 240v so I think it won't.

Could do with something to make sure its charged for that flight back home!

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,237 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What kind of plug adapter do I need?

Scott,

Have another look at this link on power convertors.

www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx…

Angie.

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What kind of plug adapter do I need?

Hello Scott,

Great link from Angie and you'll prob be able to get one in the airport shop at Manchester. Might also be able to pick one up at Meadowhall, could be worth ringing a few shops there.

If the worst comes to the worst a 110 volts SHOULD charge your son's game machine, but it may take longer. They don't use a lot of power like a hairdryer would. Is there anything in the instructions about this ?

I took my DS lite to the DR and it charged up fine overnight.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What kind of plug adapter do I need?

Again, thanks for the responses!

We found a multi voltage charger at Argos that does DS and PSP so fingers crossed that will work. Checked on Nintendo's website and they suggested that you should have a different chargers for different voltages so thats why we went down this route.

One sleep to the wedding and three till DR..... can't wait!

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,237 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What kind of plug adapter do I need?

scott,

Good Luck and Best Wishes for your wedding tomorrow and have a great time in the Dom. Rep.

Angie.