We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

26 Hours in Dominica

Columbia, Missouri
1 post
Save Topic
26 Hours in Dominica

My husband and I will be in Dominica for a very short time (26 or so hours - from about noon on Sat., Apr. 23 to 2 p.m. the 24th). We will be arriving at the ferry terminal from Guadeloupe. We fly out of Melvin Hall airport at 3:20 p.m. on Sunday.

We want to make the most of our short time there and experience as much as possible. What should we do? Where should we stay? What should we see? Can we get a taxi/tour company to take us from the Roseau area to the airport and stop and places to see on the way on Sunday?

Thanks for any tips.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,393 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 26 Hours in Dominica

Hi there,

Yes this seems a good approach. Stay Roseau on Sat. evening (Fort Young is the logical hotel but make sure to have one of the better, hence more expensive rooms). For Sat. afternoon with a taxi already visit the near-Roseau places: at least Trafalgar Falls and possibly a hot mud bath, maybe also the nature park near Trafalgar. For Sunday then at least see Emerald Pool and one of the Indian culture reserves along the east coast towards Melville Hall. If time left, more nice nature sights (waterfalls often) near the route...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 26 Hours in Dominica

Here is my recommendation, having spent almost 10 days there and touring all over the island. Had I one day to see it all, here is my suggestion and this is based upon your flying out of Melville Hall.

Rent a Car from Budget ($44 per day) or one of the others (only two) and drive down to the Carib Village Kalinago. (South of Melville Hall). This do in the morning. Then drive north to Calibishie and eat at Calibishie Lodge. Chris and Linda are spectacular and can guide you to the best remote beaches in that area that you can see quickly. Red Rocks is something to see as are some of the other nearby remote beaches.

I would then drive over to Portsmouth and see Fort Shirley at the Cabrits National Park. Lennox Honeychurch is rebuilding many of the ruins and the views of the island from there is stunning and eat at the Purple Turtle. It is about a 2 hour drive back to Melville Hall.

I would not, in my opinion, waste valuable time driving all the way over and down to Roseau unless you want to shop and see tour boats. The roads are very curvy, rough and narrow and you will spend a lot of time driving from Melville Hall to there. With only 26 hours of time, I would see the other things mentioned above.

On your way back from Portsmouth, take the northern route through Tanetane. You will drive through the cone of a volcano and can stop and see fumerolles that are cold, not hot. The drive is spectacular. It will bring you back to Calibishie on your way to Melville Hall.

Enjoy your time, the country is very scenic.

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 26 Hours in Dominica

So happy to have found your posting! My husband and I will be on Dominica the first week of April, with 6 full days to tour it. We are reasonably fit, however, not athletes by any means. We are staying with family in Portsmouth, but would not mind staying a night elsewhere. Could you suggest some of your favorite sites/ activities that would be appropriate for us? Thank you!

Edited: 11:15 am, February 04, 2011
Dominica
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 26 Hours in Dominica

Here's my two cents on how to spend your time wisely:

Since you're arriving in Roseau, I would suggest that you stay in Roseau Valley. Your cheapest and easiest option is to rent a car. Island Car Rentals has offices in Roseau and at the Melville Hall airport so you can have them pick you up in Roseau and can drop the car off when you get to the airport. (www.islandcar.dm). Head up to Roseau Valley and go to Trafalgar Falls then have dinner at Papillote Restaurant and spend the evening in the hot pools at Wotten Waven. One of my favorite guest houses in that area is Cocoa Cottages. The next day you can drive up the west coast (the roads are better on this side) and spend time on some beaches either on this coast or in the north by Calibishie. Or you could cross the island and go to the southeast to hike to Sari Sari Falls and then head north and go to the east coast and check out the Carib Territory (there's a great tourist facility here called Barana Aute: Carib Model Village by the Sea). Grab a creole lunch there and head to the airport.

Have a great trip!

Anna McCanse

author, Dominica (Other Places Publishing)

http://tinyurl.com/3tu6tmv

Florida
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 26 Hours in Dominica

I think this is one of the most incredible islans I have ever been to. They have such unusual sites to see. They have a boiling lake, and an emerald pool. Not many beaches. Probably the neatest thing we did was have a guide take us to this waterfall with hot & cold running water That's right. It had a hot springs on one side at the top, so that half of the falls had warm water coming down. Really cool. You would have to ask around with te guides. IF you describe this they will most likely know about it. Have fun!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 26 Hours in Dominica

It sounds like you are talking about Trafalgar Falls. If you are in Roseau you don't need a guide to get there, you can get the local bus for $5 EC per person each way, same for Champagne Reef and Scotts Head.

Florida
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 26 Hours in Dominica

TKS! I always wondered what they were called. We were there a long time ago and the only way to go then was with a guide.

8. Re: 26 Hours in Dominica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, January 28, 2013