We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

There for 1 day,What are the Top 5 things to see/experience?

Which Roseau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Worcester, MA
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
There for 1 day,What are the Top 5 things to see/experience?

ONLY going to be there for 1 day in March(yes I'm a cruiser). What are the Top 5 things to experience/see in Dominca? How much $$$ to hire a tour/taxi guy for 8 hours from the port to show me around? Also, how much does it cost to get to the river to go tubing, are there companies for hire by the port? Please help me fellow travelers...WorcesterWonder

Dominica
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: There for 1 day,What are the Top 5 things to see/experience?

Hello,

Here are some activities that you can do.

1. Snorkeling at champagne reef.

2.Nature hike to a waterfall (Trafalgar)

3Visit the freshwater or boeri lake .

4.Visit the Indigenouse people of Dominica (Carib Model village.)

5.Do river tubing at Concord Valley which is also part of the Territory .

Due to time you can do the furthest places first in the morning like the CaribTerritory and the river tubing and in the afternoon do snorkeling, fresh water lake or maybe the hot springs at wotten waven and end it with a refreshing bath under the waterfall. You can arrange with a private taxi at the port and negotiate the price to what you would like to do.Anyway if you would like to do the river tubing you have to organise with an operator that is doing that so you can join with them and then you can proceed with your private taxi to do the other activities you are interested in.

Worcester, MA
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: There for 1 day,What are the Top 5 things to see/experience?

Rubby100,

Thanks for your prompt response and invaluable info. If i can do 2 or 3 things on your terrific list, I'll be extremely happy. I can't wait to go in March and check out the tropical beauty of Dominca. Thanks again, and take care fellow travelerer...

On Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: There for 1 day,What are the Top 5 things to see/experience?

Can you tell me how to book a tour to see the people or book a tour to Carib Model village. We will be stopping there March 15 for one day on our cruise. Also do the people enjoy tecieving gifts from tourisits.

Thanks in advance

Trish

Kansas City
Level Contributor
138 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: There for 1 day,What are the Top 5 things to see/experience?

I would advise that you hire a taxi driver for the day, that is what we have done both times in Dominica. We in fact, contacted our driver from last year and had him take us again this year. The benefit from having your own driver is that you are not crammed in a vehicle, and you are on your own schedule, never waiting. Also, if you see something you want a picture of, or a place to stop an grab a beer, you can!!! I love this. Also, the taxi drivers are usually very proud of the island and love showing it off, which means they will ensure you see all the neat things large companies do not have time or knowledge of. If you are interested I could give you his information. The first trip we did the Emerald Pool, The Trafalgar Falls, and then finished the day up snorkeling the Champagne reef. I selected these activities and had a wonderful day. Our second trip we meet up with our "old Friend" and he took us to Ti Tu George. This is a fresh water cave type place, with water falls inside. This was AMAZING!!!!! Another plus with having our driver, is that we went really early, and had the place to ourselves. After that, he gathered some local fruits and rum punch and treated us to a little picnic in heaven. He made a few stops throughout the island, highlighting some historical sights, and things like that and then took us back to Champagne reef to snorkel. This is a must, as you can see we did this both times. Ask for VON, here. He is a young snorkel guide, knows all the ends and outs of the reef, and with show you many things you would miss otherwise. He works on tips only, and is well worth the money. I typically never pay for snorkel tours, but this kid does a great job. He then took us back by the ship to do a little shopping,and that was it!!!!! It could not have been any better!

Ti Tu George, in my opinion if far more interesting and exciting then the over crowded Emerald Pool, or the Falls. The driver will take you by other Falls if you wish, but if I were you i would follow our day 2 plan. The driver for Day 2, at the beginning of this year cost us $80 for the entire day . He even bought us fruit and drinks. Although we did generously tip, he was wonderful, and I think inexpensive. Ti tu george is free entrance, and champagne reef is $4 a person ( we had our own gear). So all in all, it makes for a perfect day. I am very excited for you, you are in for a real treat. If you have any more questions please let me know. have fun!!!!! I have been to many islands, so if you need any other suggestions don't hesitate. I research before I travel to ensure i can maximize the same time on each of these remarkable places. I NEVER book through the cruise line, well since I have learned better. Hiring a taxi for the day is usually cheaper then excursions, and you get too see far more.

Ottawa
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: There for 1 day,What are the Top 5 things to see/experience?

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the great tips! I would be interested in the contact info for the taxi driver you used. How do you locate taxis offering excursions from the cruise ship docks?

Do you have any recommendations for St Maarten, Tobago, Grenada and

Barbados, also one day excursions off the cruise ship. Thanks!

LTTOttawa

Delaware
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: There for 1 day,What are the Top 5 things to see/experience?

Pamela - this is great information. Would you be able to share the name and contact information of your driver?

Lynn

Indiana
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: There for 1 day,What are the Top 5 things to see/experience?

Did you hear back on your question regarding how to get a driver?

Indiana
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: There for 1 day,What are the Top 5 things to see/experience?

great info, thanks, will be there on a cruise for 1 day, where do I get a private driver/taxi? Will have 4 in our group, approx cost for the day?

Roseau, Dominica
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: There for 1 day,What are the Top 5 things to see/experience?

Pepper does tours and he is very knowledgable of the island. He has an amazing personality that you wil love. Check him out and what others have to say about him:

tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Review-g147282-d510012-…

On Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: There for 1 day,What are the Top 5 things to see/experience?

Thank you for your response. Just read it today and am getting very ecxited. I would love to get the taxi drivers name and info.

Thanks again

Trish