We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening driving?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
27 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Evening driving?

Hello,

We will be arriving in Dominica from St. Maarten at 9:00 PM. We intend to stay at the Fort Young Hotel in Rouseau, which appears to be roughly a 45-60 minute drive from the airport.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether that is a drive we could make in the evening, or if we should just shack up near the airport that evening and take off for Rousea the next morning.

The easiest thing would definitely be driving straight through, but I'm not sure about the condition of the roads...

Thanks so much

--Clint

UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening driving?

Hi Clint

You have posed a difficult question as much of it depends on your confidence levels as a driver! Firstly I would say that the journey from the airport to Roseau is more like 1.5 - 2 hours at night but the route is very straight forward so it is not like you could get lost but the roads are in varying states of repair/disrepair with some sections having quite a few potholes. From what friends have said who have been to both islands I would imagine that the road surface is similar. The only other things to take into consideration is that we drive on the left side in Dominica and there are no streetlights so when it is dark it is very dark!

Bottom line is that if you are a reasonably confident driver it is easily doable but there are some great places to stay on the North of the island and places that you may like to take the opportunity to explore on the way down to Roseau in daylight.

Hope that helps.

Roseau
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening driving?

I agree that it depends on your confidence level with driving strange roads in the dark. If you arriving after a long day of travel you should stay in the North and drive down the next day. Its a nice drive in the daylight. Keep in mind that the main road is under construction from near the airport to the center of the island and is %95 finished. But that %5 might be scary in the dark, its bridges, culverts and such that get narrow and slippery. If its been rainy stay North! I was behind a bus the other day (going opposite to your direction) who took three tries to get up a hill cause of the mud.

The other road through the Carib territory is very curvy and a bit longer.

The more I think about it the more I think you should stay in the North, I drove that central road at night 3 months ago and it was not fun even though I have been driving in DOminica for 20 years.

Enjoy the island!

Roseau, Dominica
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Evening driving?

If this is your first time to Dominica, let someone else take the strain of driving and enjoy the scenery! - even at night.

It is not only about confidence in driving but the way of being that you wish to have from the get go...

Hire a taxi from the airport so you can peer out the window and sigh with relief at getting there.

It is breathtaking to stop and watch the sea of the Atlantic for a few moments around the Marigot area and just breathe in the energy of the land whilst having a coconut water or rum.

Pause once you get mid island and breathe in the energy of the central forest reserve.

Then when you get to Fort Young, soak your travel strains their hot tubs and look out to the Caribbean Sea and hug up with your loved ones....

You can them arrange for a hire vehicle from town the next day and then deal with Dominican drivers!

Enjoy your day

Martha

Primal Spa Dominica

4. Re: Evening driving?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 30, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Dominica