We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airlines to island

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
airlines to island

Are there any cheap airlines flying from Ft. Lauderdale or vicinity to Dominica? I do not want to pay the AA & other high airfares.

Southfield, Michigan
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: airlines to island

There are no non-stop flights from mainland anywhere to Dominica. The best choice is Executive Airlines which does business as American Eagle. Your other choices are LIAT and BVI Airways. LIAT has a reputation and it's not good. BVI is a relatively recent addition.

I don't know the BVI schedule, but at least some of their flights have landed at night. That's not something I would want to do. If you've seen how the airport is situated on the island and know a little about landing aircraft, you will understand why I think that way.

The current rumor has Executive ending the San Juan based flights by March 2013. Executive along with American Eagle is part of the American Airlines bankruptcy proceedings.

Besides the dent the airfare will make, be sure to note each airline's specific luggage allowance. It will be less than allowed on the mainline metal. You might get oversize/overweight into Dominica. But they do check at Melville Hall when you leave. The runway threshold extension has helped, but a fully loaded aircraft will still have problems with the runway length. That is why there are no non-stop flights to mainland anywhere.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airlines to island

Please if we have any experts on Dominica would you kindly give advice on some inexpensive airfares to Dominica, does not have to be from mainland US. The airfares I am finding on Liat and AA are exceedingly high. Thank you, if anyone can provide any insight on this, would appreciate a message. I am not particularly looking for non-stops, as I know this is impossible.

Manistee, Michigan
Level Contributor
247 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airlines to island

We went a couple of years ago and I could find no other options other than flying to Puerto Rico, spending the night and then flying to Dominica. I don't remember the exact fare, but it was pretty pricey plus we had the expense of a hotel room in Puerto Rico.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airlines to island

thanks, maddiesmom66, considering the airfare/hotel added, I believe I will skip that trip there seems no option and as I have read and been informed the beaches are not my usual sandy and serviced. I appreciate your feedback. BTW how did you like Dom? I will not be going myself, but would like to pass on any positives to others.

Manistee, Michigan
Level Contributor
247 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airlines to island

We loved it, but it's not for everyone. It is absolutely beautiful but not the easiest place to visit. The driving is very difficult. We had another couple with us so the guys could trade off every day. Although the transportation there is expensive, once you get there it's not. Lodging and food are very reasonable. There are a couple of really nice beaches, but the main draw is the hiking. The island is full of rivers, streams and waterfalls. We stayed at a resort in the center of the island that had a huge beautiful garden filled with hot pools of mineral water that you could soak in. I've never seen anything like it. Dominica is definitely a place for the more adventurous who love the outdoors.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
17 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: airlines to island

Is there not a ferry or water taxi from any of the neighboring islands? Just looking for the least expensive way to get there. We stopped there on a cruise ship and I absolutely loved it. We did the Middleham falls hike and I would like to go and do some more.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,581 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airlines to island

Yes, regular ferry services

a) Guadeloupe, from Portsmouth and Roseau

b) Martinique, from Roseau

Both islands have good long-distance connections to France and French Canada, but not necessarily to UK and USA...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

8. Re: airlines to island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:41 pm, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Dominica