We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need help picking a hotel!

Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
I need help picking a hotel!

We will be going to Dominica first week in June. Can someone help me decide on a couple of hotels with air cond.? We'd like to stay in the south for a few days and then move north for a few days. Thanks

California
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I need help picking a hotel!

We decided to break it up, staying 3 nights up north in Habitation Chabert in Hatton Garden (near Marigot and the airport)on Paqua Bay, then 4 nights at the Fort Young Hotel in Roseau. That seemed to work out well, with the north side of the island feeling like a secluded getaway, and the Roseau location giving great access to the natural attractions of the Roseau Valley and to the town. I second your recommendation of splitting your time in the 2 spots...even though Dominica is fairly small, because of the windy roads you don't want to drive end-to-end just to do your day trips.

I don't know what you're looking to spend, we stayed 3 nights at Habitation chabert and it was exquisite. It's definitely one of the most expensive hotels on the island, at about $175/night. I'm not rich and don't usually pick the most expensive hotel in a destination, but this one is worth the splurge.

The property was absolutely phenomenal. It's a beautiful, tranquil accomodation surrounded by lush rainforest and the 2 rivers which have great swimming access. Our room was spacious and well-appointed. Air conditioner was nice and powerful without being too noisy. The bed nested in a separate cove, there was plenty of room to sit, and the large tiled bathroom was amply stocked with plush towels. The grounds are beautiful and there's an open-air (covered) common room which is great for reading, playing cards, etc.

Breakfast every morning (included in price) consists of tropical fruits with fresh juice, then a selection of breads and homemade jams, with real, delicious coffee. The cook will make you eggs if that's what you want to eat.

Fort Young Hotel in Roseau is a nice-enough hotel, but more standard business-hotel feel. Great location on the BayFront and great views from the oceanview rooms. Spacious, clean, and harmonious room. But I know there are some nice eco-resorts if you don't feel like staying in the "city."

Whatever you choose, you can't go wrong. The island is beautiful and the people and food are memorable. My top recommendations are Ti-Tou Gorge (if you like to get wet), Emerald Pool, Trafalgar Middleham Falls are also great. Beautiful secluded beach: Point Baptiste near Calibishie. If you like art, seek out Kelo Royer's studio in Roseau.

Enjoy.

Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need help picking a hotel!

Thanks amsterbri! Did the Fort Young Hotel have air cond? How much was that hotel? I'm having such a hard time deciding for sure what island to go to. St. Lucia looks awesome also. I have to make my decision soon.

California
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I need help picking a hotel!

Fort Young has air conditioning. As I recall we paid about $125/night there for a superior oceanview room. You could get a standard room for a little less, but ours had a small private terrace that was perfect for watching the sunset and just lazing around after an active day.

Regarding St. Lucia, I didn't go but you can also take a high-speed ferry from Dominica (I believe it takes about 90 minutes to St. Lucia and costs around $30US round trip per person).

You can find the schedule through www.visit_dominica.com . If you haven't checked out this site, I highly recommend checking it out.

you can also see habitation chabert at www.habitationchabert.com

Cheers

Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need help picking a hotel!

Thanks for your help. I'll be looking into those websites. One thing I definitely want to do if we go to Dominica is the Boiling Lake hike, but I have to find out if our 10-year old daughter will be able to do this.

California
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I need help picking a hotel!

Boiling Lake is 6-7 hours round trip. Most of the hike in to the Lake is up a pretty steep grade. I guess it depends on how hardy your daughter is, but it's a strenuous hike even for adults in decent shape.

However, you'll probably take a guide and a good guide would tailor the pace, slowing it down a bit if you wanted to take more breaks on the way in. The way back is mostly downhill and much easier.

Bucks, UK
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I need help picking a hotel!

Beau Rive has not got air con, but it didnt bother us at all since there is a strongish onshore breeze and no issue with mozzies - its well worth looking it up as its a fantastic relaxed place.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I need help picking a hotel!

We stayed at Fort Young, in Rousea. Aks for the new section of the hotel, great air conditioning, good pool for the kids. Also stayed at the Papilotte Wilderness reserve in Trafalger, which was nice but no A/C if you want that too

8. Re: I need help picking a hotel!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Dominica