We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General advice on costs

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
General advice on costs

I am considering a week's vacation on Dominica in late February and am wondering how much I should expect to spend on food and accommodations there. While I am at it, I'd be interested in recommendations for accommodations.

My needs and desires for an accommodation are really simple. I don't require a private bath. I am even open to an outhouse, though a shower or bathtub are kind of a requirement. My main interest is hiking, though I might like to try snorkeling. I'm not sure which part of the island would be best for these things. My one strong desire is for a place that is quiet at night. Also, a kitchen or access to a kitchen would be nice if the place isn't in a town, since I probably won't want to drive on the roads at night.

So, how much might I expect to pay for a simple room for a week or per night? Are there good options for less than US $100/night or US $700/week? What about meals? Again, I don't demand much of a restaurant beyond fresh, healthy, and tasty food. And I seldom have alcoholic drinks.

Thanks for your help!

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General advice on costs

Mark,

Check out Sea Cliff Cottages near Calibishie on the north east coast of the island: www.dominica-cottages.com/cottage1.html

We stayed in one of thier one bedroom units a couple of years ago and we loved it.

They have a studio apartment and I can highly recommend the place: it has all you require, clean, quiet, beautiful views and the owners and operators are really nice, helpfull people.

Also there are several hikes you can do right from the cottages.

See their reviews here on T.A.

Have a good time you will love Dominica!!!!!!!

Southfield, Michigan
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: General advice on costs

Just wondering if you have checked out what the airfare will cost. You might be surprised, unpleasantly.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General advice on costs

Yes, I did check out airfares. I know they aren't cheap these days. But actually, it seems not to cost much more to fly to Dominica than to Florida. Whereas Florida is boring and not reliably "tropical" in winter, Dominica seems like a better deal. Also, I think Dominica will feel pleasantly foreign.

Thanks for the Calibishie suggestion. Can anyone else suggest economical accommodations?

dominica
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: General advice on costs

I can recommend a very private house for less that the 700us including healthy breakfast which is very close to one of the waitikubli Trail for hiking you can call 767-6159795 for more information or email naturexperience@aol.com they would able to get you something reasonable.

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General advice on costs

I also recommend Seacliffe Lodges. I stayed there for a week. You are close to the beach, the nice little village of Calibishie and can walk to Chris and Linda's restaurant which has great food. The view from the lodges is one of the best. It costs around $90 a night. I was there a couple of years ago. Food, I would budget about $60 per day. You probably won't spend near that. I took oatmeal in packs from home, heated up water in the microwave and bought bananas from a vendor. Lunch I bought at one of the many little places along the road ($10-$15), and ate at the Lodges ($20-$25).

Have a great time.

Europe
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General advice on costs

You shouldn't just stay in one part of the island - you should do a couple of days in Calabishie and the rest on the West Coast, staying around Roseau, so you can explore that side too and the South of the island. Most places will offer you a deal, even if it's only for a few nights. To make the most of your trip a two centre base is best and saves too much time on the roads too. Enjoy.

Becancour
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: General advice on costs

Take a look at Ginger Lily, at Riviere Cyrique- no snorkeling close as the Atlantic side is very dangerous , many drownings, the locals will warn you but visitors often learn too late. This is a quiet area, lots of trails, lovely people- say hello to Fernanda..Ti- Mum for me!

Jane Anne

Manistee, Michigan
Level Contributor
247 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: General advice on costs

Other than the airfare to get there and the fact that it takes two days to get there and two days to get back, it is one of the most reasonable places we have ever gone as far as food and lodging go. I would also pick at least two places to stay. It doesn't look like a very big island, but the driving is difficult and traveling can take some time. Spend some time in the North and then move South for a few days.

Portsmouth, Dominica
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: General advice on costs

There are many local places to eat that charge around $5 a big plate of great food. Stay away from the Gringo places if you want to have a cheap holiday.

Check out the hotels section on TA and see who is under $100 US. there are some lovely places for that price.

Snorkeling is on the Caribbean side (99% true anyway) and treks are numerous there also.

Do spend some time in 2 places North and South .. get to see the best Dominica has to offer.

Also remember that you can spend a holiday in a concrete box anywhere in the world, but in Dominica we specialize in Eco lodging and you can get a real feel for the nature. Take a look around.

Have a great time where ever you decide.

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: General advice on costs

We stayed at the Jacoway inn , in Calabishie. There were 2 large studio apartments with a good basic kitchen , bathroom, clean and comfortable.The owners were nice, helpful and live next door. also has a nice patio for barbecuing and Carol and Nicki will prepare meals if you want. Lots of good restaurants and good beahes in and around Calabishie. A laid back village. Paul and Deb

Get answers to your questions about Dominica