We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Curacao

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott Curacao

WOW!

Just booked for the Marriott Curacao - for December - OK! I know it's nearly a year away but I like to dream all year!

My questions are:

We have booked a B&B rate but we would like to know if it is possible to upgrade to AI whilst in the resort - and - if so - does it have to be for the entire stay? We are staying for 14 nights and would like to spend one week lazing around and chilling out by the pool/beach, but would like to spend the other week hiring a car and getting out and about.

Also, can anyone reccomend child-friendly restaurants ( we have a 5 year old).

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Finally - we are flying from the UK with KLM via Amsterdam - any hints on getting extra legroom seat for my husband - he's 6'6" tall!

Has anyone upgraded with KLM to buisiness class and if so is it really worth all the extra? I'm thinking of surprising my husband with an upgrade on the way home.

Many thanks.

Curacao
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Curacao

The anticipation of your vacation is half the fun!

I think it will be very difficult to change to AI while you are already staying in the resort. The Marriott does use certain maximums in AI bookings, so I would definately make sure you have that arranged before you arrive.

Child friendly restaurants in the neighbourhood would include; Hooks Hut (right around the corner), Denny's, Seabreeze (at the resort), and ofcourse McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut etc. Most beach restaurants are great for kids as they don't have to sit still at the table the whole time, but they can build a sand castle or chase crabs in between courses.

If you call KLM in advance and tell them about your husbands height they should be able to guarantee you an emergency exit seat. Also, the further to the front of the plane (if it's a boeing 747) the more spacious your seat. Try to get row 1 on either side or row 7 in the middle. Business class is crazy expensive. The extras include a personal tv screen with choices, a complimentary gift, champagne and of course much more space. Since you will probably be flying during the night on the way back it will be nice that you'll be able to stretch out and possibly even sleep, so you don't arrive back in a very bad shape.

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Curacao

Thank you so much for your great help! You are so right - the anticipation is part of the holiday. We do have a couple of other holidays booked in the meantime but we are excited about Curacao the most!

We will contact the hotel to try to get AI added on and also speak with KLM.

Once again T H A N K Y O U !

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
349 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Curacao

As to KLM - it will be difficult to get an exit row seat if you are not a KL elite. If they can't book you an exit seat you should check in on-line about 24 hours before the flight (check their website) as at this time the seats that are still left open (which may include exit seats) will be up for grabs. Try the KL website for some more info on on-line check-in. As for the upgrade - -it's well worhth it - the seats are lay-flat and easy to sleep in.

Curacao
Level Contributor
472 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Curacao

Northumberland-lady,

You picked a wonderful time of year to come to Curacao. I can imagine how you are going to enjoy the anticipation of your upcoming trip the coming months !

If you are looking for a child-friendly restaurant without ending up at a fast food chain Denny's etc, you should try Landhuis Daniel. We love going there with our kids. On weekends we have 'pannekoeken' which are dutch pancakes made to order (great!), and on other occasions we have 4 course dinners there that exceed many a restaurants taste and style. The kids can play and walk around in the area, within hearing distance, lol.

Also Landhuis Brakkeput Mei Mei has a kids club on Sundays from 6.00 pm, during your dinner the kids can get up at any time and join the kids club. Just because of the settings, another good choice is Tu Tu Tango, it's on a patio, and on wednesday they have this great Indonesian Buffet and the kids can have anything a la carte. For lunch a great place is Delifrance Bloempot, they have exquisite french bread and much more and there is a play house for the kids. Hope you have a great time! Any questions don't hesitate.

Maryland
Level Contributor
72 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott Curacao

I have to strongly disagree with the reviews of Landhuis Daniel. We were just there a few days ago. Wait staff was careless and rather disagreeable. Food was mediocre at best. We tried the 4-course chef's special surprise and were very disappointed. Our dessert was a simple piece of refrigerated apple pie I could have bought at the local grocery store. Stay away and try another of the fine establishments elsewhere on the island.

Curacao
Level Contributor
472 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott Curacao

We had a wonderful romantic dinner at Landhuis Daniel a couple of nights ago. The dinner was exquisite, our appetizer was Venison (deer) Carpaccio, it was to die for. Our second course was a delicious spring roll filled with roasted chicken and a sweet and sour hot sauce, main course was a huge ribeye steak grilled to perfection with mixed stir fried vegetables and home fried potatoes. For desert we had blackened key lime pie with home made raspberry ice cream. This only cost us $32 a person. If this ain't bang for your buck, I don't know what is.

You have to try this restaurant,make up your own mind, great ambiance, it's an old plantation house. The waitings staff are a litlle 'gruffier' than you would expect, but overall it was a great dinner.

Maryland
Level Contributor
72 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott Curacao

Guess we hit it on an off night...it was very mediocre.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott Curacao

Hi I to am torn between AI or not .. I.was wondering about all the other restaurants you mention to visit outside the marriott are they close can you walk or do you need to rent a car? ( I wasn't planning on it the air fare is costing alot form NY) I have 2children 12 & 14 who like to eat and snack and my husband and I like a cocktail or to during the day whats the best choice AI or not?

They do mention water sport with the AI but I haven'r seen anything in the pictures candid and hotels does anyone use them?

Also is there golf nearby & how would you get there?

New York
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriott Curacao

We are off to the Marriott Saturday (4/21) and called the hotel to ask the same AI question. I was told that AI is $115 per person per day and that we could book it upon arrival and that we could select it for the days we wanted - even on a day-to-day basis. The guest services woman I spoke to said that while the hotel's restaurants are very good, unless we were planning on never leaving the hotel, we should be selective about using the AI option. She volunteered that there were many restaurants she would recommend and that we should get out and about to see the island, enjoy people and taste the fun. It was a pretty surprising conversation. I will report back upon our return. Bob

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriott Curacao

Hi there! BobEmoto.

Starting to get excited about our trip to the Marriott in Curacao now and also still not decided between doing the AI when we get there or not - wonder if you have an opinion now that you have been?

Also - did you come accross any not to be missed gems whilst you were there?

Many thanks,

Northumberland Lady.