We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary Trip

Monroe, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
Anniversary Trip

My husband and I are planning our 1 year anniversary trip to Sunscape Curaçao resort. I was wondering what the definite "must dos" are. I have read to rent a car. Is it safe and where would your stops be. Also I saw some pics of private dinners on the beach at the resort and was wondering how I would go about getting something like that set up. Thanks in advance for your help

Baoase Luxury Resort
Baoase Luxury Resort
#1 of 32 hotels in Willemstad
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 hotels in Willemstad
BijBlauw
BijBlauw
#3 of 32 hotels in Willemstad
UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary Trip

Must do is visit Willemstad. Renting a car is a good idea - drive the length of the island and check out the various beaches and sights. Do some snorkling or scuba diving.

Mentioned in this post
Cary, North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary Trip

Some suggestions, depending on your interests...

Willemstad - Visit the floating market, lunch or drinks at the Iguana Cafe and watch the floating bridge open, shopping in Punda and Rif Fort. Nice city and harbor view from the top of Rif Fort.

Shete Boca Park to appreciate the power of the sea.

Mt. Christofel for hiking or mountain biking or just a look around in the museum.

Beaches - must see Grote Knip beach, and many other beautiful beaches on the west side.

Not sure about beach dining on Sunscape like the pictures show, but there is also casual beach dining at Pirate Bay and AzZuro restaurant at Blue Bay. Be sure to specify when you make your reservations.

Driving is simple with a map or GPS, safe and most roads are in good shape. Just be sure to protect your valuables when leaving the car parked in remote areas. Carry them with you or put out of sight.

Visit www.curacao.com for other ideas.

Edited: 11:26 am, November 11, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Iguana Cafe
Iguana Cafe
1,924 Reviews
Curacao
Punda
Punda
2,766 Reviews
Curacao
Blue Bay Beach
Blue Bay Beach
497 Reviews
Curacao
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary Trip

Scuba diving is a great way to experience this island. If you've never done it, you will probably want to do the introductory open water diving course, which would take up the daytime portion of 3-4 days. It's lot of fun if you like a sort of "active" relaxation. I had a great time doing that with Twin Divers, which is a small dive shop - they are very flexible and all the training we received it was just the two of us and the dive master - so very personal and attentive instruction. The big dive shops often have a specific schedule and larger study groups so it's not as tailored to your wants. Plus since scuba diving is something you should always do with a buddy, it's a perfect couple's activity ;)

As for romantic dinners on the beach, setting up something private is something something you may want to contact the resort for, but I can recommend the Pirate Bay Beach Club (in Piscadera - http://www.piratebaycuracao.com ). It's a great spot on the beach where by day you can lounge in the sun, and after sunset they set up small candle lit tables for dinner - very nice atmosphere and good food. They were all reserved before sunset, so call ahead if you'd like to do that.

Mentioned in this post
Pirate Bay Beach Bar and Restaurant
Pirate Bay Beach Bar and...
1,376 Reviews
Curacao
Helsinki
Level Contributor
21 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary Trip

Agree with BlueSkyHeart.

Pirate Bay restaurant is perfect place to eat lunch or romantic dinner.

Good atmosphere, great service, exellent food and reasonable prices.

In any case, we were a little disappointed with the seafood restaurants in Curacao.

For example only mussels we found were at Marriot hotel lounge bar. On every Thursdays they have an offer, which includes mussels (stewed with carlic, herbs and white wine) for two persons and two classes white wine for only 30 dollars. Worth the money, I can say =)

Pete

Mentioned in this post
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary Trip

I agree with all of Jeff's suggestions. Renting a car is a must. We enjoyed downtown (with lunch at Iguana Café), Playa Lagun and Grote Knip the most. Sunscape will arrange a private dinner for you on the beach. Send an email to kklaber@sunscaperesorts.com. He'll hook you up!

Dana

Mentioned in this post
Iguana Cafe
Iguana Cafe
1,924 Reviews
Curacao
Playa Lagun
Playa Lagun
737 Reviews
Curacao
6. Re: Anniversary Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 21, 2014