We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in Westpunt (near Lodge Kura Hulanda)

St. John's...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Restaurants in Westpunt (near Lodge Kura Hulanda)

My boyfriend and I will be staying at the Lodge Kura Hulanda for a week in August and we chose not to do the all-inclusive plan. Since having booked the Lodge, we came across some reviews that said there aren't many restaurants nearby the Lodge. Can anyone offer some more information on dining options near Lodge Kura Hulanda?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants in Westpunt (near Lodge Kura Hulanda)

We are going to Lodge Kura Hulanda in June. I will let you know about the restaurants.

Are you a Kdg teacher? Me too!!!!

St. John's...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants in Westpunt (near Lodge Kura Hulanda)

Thanks so much!

...and yes I am! I teach Kindergarten French Immersion.

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants in Westpunt (near Lodge Kura Hulanda)

There are not many dining options near the lodge except for Jaanchie's. See all the talk about Jaanchie's on another thread titled best beaches and restaurants. It's a great local place and I'm sure you'd enjoy going a few times. Many great dining options in Willemstad although it will be a 45 minute to hour car ride. Have fun.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants in Westpunt (near Lodge Kura Hulanda)

I loved Westpunt and Jaanchies...I did not see anything else out there...

St. John's...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants in Westpunt (near Lodge Kura Hulanda)

Thanks so much for all of your help, guys!

Now we don't know what to do...

We are staying at the Hotel kura Hulanda for a week before we go to Lodge Kura Hulanda. Since we have opted not to do all inclusive, now we're wondering if a week will be too long at the Lodge with only one restaurant. We were also considering splitting it up between 3 properties, but this could be more of a hassle than anything...

Connecticut
Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants in Westpunt (near Lodge Kura Hulanda)

Hi Kindergarten teacher. We are doing the all-inclusive plan because, basically, we like to be slugs on the beach and we want unlimited drinks and all that! But when we get there I will ask around. I hear the hotel in town is great, magical in fact, and we may eat there too, but it is a 45 minute ride. You may not want to go back there for your second week since you will have eaten there already.

I emailed someone from this site who stayed at the lodge and this was his response about the food.

<< the food was very good to excellent, not a huge variety but a menu with choices of meat(beef, pork, veal etc...), chicken or fish or pasta, so anyone can find something they like. If you go to the web site, I think you can view the menu. Great service, though at times not too quick, but if you are not on a tight schedule you'll be fine.>>

endlessvacation...finally retired after 35 years teaching silly little 5 year olds.

St. John's...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants in Westpunt (near Lodge Kura Hulanda)

Sounds good! I'm sure we'll make do!

Thanks for all of your help! and congratulations on your retirement... we're on comletely opposite sides as this is my first year teaching!

Thanks again, and make sure you fill me in on the details once you return from your trip! Have fun!

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants in Westpunt (near Lodge Kura Hulanda)

I visited the Kura Hulanda Lodge, and it was a far way from anywhere built up - you'd have to drive to get to any restaurants near-by.

Also, the hotel didn't have too many restaurants, so if you do go AI you might have a limited choice...

Hope that helps!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants in Westpunt (near Lodge Kura Hulanda)

We just returned from our vacation at Lodge Kura Hulanda. We had a wonderful time, as always for us. The weather was perfect, most days there was a breeze at the beach or pool so we did not get too hot, although the sun was strong and we got ample sunburn, so be careful.

Here is the food report I promised:

Even with the AI wrist band, you still have to sign a tab because there are those who are not AI, and also visitors from other hotels...so our tab had the prices on it even though we chose the AI option, (mainly because we wanted to lounge all day and eat and drink to our heart's content. )The resort has 3 restaurants. Our favorite was the Kalki Beach Grill right on the beach open from 11 to 6. There were about 10 offerings, all reasonably priced. (Crab salad...$8.50, Guacamole and Chips...$5, Seafood Ceviche...$7.25, Fish fingers...$5.50, and a few other things including hamburgers, which were a little dry. )For example, one day we had 1 hamburger, 1 seafood creviche, 1 conch fritters, and 4 drinks, and our bill was $56. Another day, from 11 to 2 we ate a crab salad, a seafood creviche, guacamole & chips, 2 cokes, and 6 daiquiris for $75. We sat on the terrace there part of the time, and ate under the palapa in our "spot" as well. Food/drink was often delivered to us.

When we left the beach and went up to the pool, we enjoyed other choices.Poolside, we ordered from the Christoffel Sunset Restaurant. Before 6 there were sandwiches and other things. Our bill there (around 4 pm) usually was about $50 to $80 which included 4 or 5 drinks and sandwiches. Hamburgers were $9 and a sandwich was $6 to $7.50. The bill always had a 12% service charge and tax added.

For dinner we enjoyed the Christoffel Sunset Restaurant more than the Watamula Restaurant....but several nights we sat in an enclosed round building near the Christoffel Bar and actually ordered off both menus. The Tempura shrimp listed as an appetizer was excellent and I ordered a double round of that. The "Simply Made" (ham and pineapple) pizza was also delicious, and there were 5 or 6 pizza choices. Once night we ordered steak and fries but it was dry.

The breakfast buffet was $15 and included made to order eggs, pancakes, fruit, muffins, etc.

There was also an Island Buffet ($25)one night with great jerk chicken and lots of other things, roasted veggies, pumpkin soup, etc. and a Calypso buffet one afternoon. Both times, you could still order a la carte from the restaurants instead.

All in all, I would say there were enough food choices to satisfy us, but nothing to rave about.

We did venture to Jaanchies which was nearby, but we were not overly impressed, but tried a local dish. Although you might be able to walk there, we did not...it was a good distance.

One thing that was interesting, unless you asked for alcohol, the daiquiris, margaritas, etc. were virgin...it took us a day to figure that out and get all the bartenders on board with us. Also, if you do not specify which brand of liquor, they might put a premium brand in your drink, and then charge extra. The bartenders did not know which drinks were included, so a visit to the front desk was needed to straighten that out. For me, I cannot tell if I am drinking Grey Goose vodka or Smirnoff, in my Bloody Mary, and certainly not which brand of rum in my daiquiris. Drink prices were very reasonable. $7.25 for margaritas, pina coladas, $5 without liquor, and a coke was $1.75.

Be sure to bring water shoes, not Tevas. The entire beach was rocky and difficult to walk without them. Snorkeling was fun right off the beach.

I hope this helps...any other questions, I will be glad to answer.

St. John's...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants in Westpunt (near Lodge Kura Hulanda)

Thanks so much for your help! I'm happy to hear that you had a nice vacation and great weather.

Was the Lodge itself nice? Was there much to do in the area or did you moslty stay at the resort? What type of room did you stay in? Any other pointers that you could offer us? Did you use US currency while there?

Sorry for all the questions...!

Thanks again!