We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What info would have been helpful while there?

Which Willemstad hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Curacao
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What info would have been helpful while there?

I know that everywhere I go there are information that you just do not get upfront. What information should you know about traveling, attractions, places to stay and getting good deals while in Curacao?

p.s. what is recommended for young travelers?

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What info would have been helpful while there?

In Massachusetts, our rule of the road is the bigger vehicle has the right of way ;)

But you are correct - i did not know there were two different types of rotaries. When in doubt, yield.

Thanks for the info.

Rotterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
668 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What info would have been helpful while there?

I have to admit, in Curacao, the same rule applies.

It's why I drive a Pickup Truck. ;)

cheyenne
Level Contributor
808 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What info would have been helpful while there?

II am here now and the one thing I wish I had done is notify my email carrier. I keep a lot of email with a regional carrier and I cannot get to it. I have reservations in there, lists of restaurants, etc. This trip made me realize I need to dump that carrier completely and put it all in gmail! Thank goodness I remembered to let my credit card company know!

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
170 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What info would have been helpful while there?

Would have been helpful to know that EVERYTHING is closed on Boxing Day (12-26). Stores, restaurants, bars. Even downtown. We would have stocked up on 12-23 but thought we would be ready for a trip to town after Christmas. Wasted afternoon......all was closed (and we are staying in Westpunt)

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What info would have been helpful while there?

Too bad you wasted your afternoon. But your info is not correct. Most big supermarkets were open on Boxing days in the morning hours. Others stores indeed are closed. All Chinese ran mini markets are open on the 25 and 26.

You must have gone to the few restaurants that were closed. Almost all restaurants are open on this day. They maybe closed during the day but certainly open for dinner.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What info would have been helpful while there?

Indeed, it is hard to buy anything with a 50 dollar bill.

Another aspect is the early time the commerce closes. By the sunset, almost everything is no longer available.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
358 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: What info would have been helpful while there?

Can someone clarify one of the earlier posts (Reply #1) regarding service charge on food bill. I was told that this indeed is the tip. What other 'service' could it be?

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: What info would have been helpful while there?

I can clarify my service charge comment. We had eaten at Bistro Le Clochard and had a very expensive meal - $250 without drinks. I inquired about the service charge - did the waiter get it, so could we just add to the 15% already included? He told us that, no, the service charge was a fee imposed by the restaurant to cover 'infrastructure' like rent in the fort, place settings and was partly given to behind the scenes workers like busboys. We then included another hefty tip to him.

Perhaps it was just the caloric haze I was in, but I accepted his comment at face value LOL.

After thinking about it for a while, I emailed the restaurant to ask if this was indeed the case - shouldn't infrastructure be included in the price of a meal? They responded that the waiter does indeed get all the service charge and he had very cleverly scammed us out of another $50. They claimed that they reprimanded him. It would have been nice if they had refunded me a portion of my bill - they did have my credit card on file after all.

Just a question of buyer beware. I was foolish to not question the charge further. In an establishment like that I assumed they would not lie to me.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
358 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: What info would have been helpful while there?

Great to know...sorry you got screwed...but hopefully others will learn from this and that will give you extra karma points!

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: What info would have been helpful while there?

Service charge is kinda new to Curacao as we never had it. most restaurants also do not charge it. If they do it would be the same as a tip. if for some reason the restaurants does not give this money to the staff I would think that the staff should look for another place to work.