We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

compare snorkeling at....

Iowa
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Topic
compare snorkeling at....

Which of these hotels has the best snorkeling?

--Hilton Curacao

--Floris Suite Hotel (their website they have a beach across the street(

--Sunscape

Are they all close to each other in proximity?

Thanks.

Shirley...
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: compare snorkeling at....

Hilton and Floris are in the Piscadera Bay area of the island.

Hilton has two beaches. The main beach in front of the hotel has a rapid drop off but the wall going to the left from shore is decent and the pylons can be decent as well but really missing nice coral formations outside of that. The second beach off to the left of the property is next the Marriott. It improves if you go over to Marriott and follow their wall. It has more life and decent coral formations. The fish variety is diverse. I have seen octopus at both locations but haven't seen reef squid at either.

Floris beach is on the other side of the Marriott property so you can go along the same wall to the right from shore. It has decent coral formations, tough to say which is really better, they are virtually the same since you would most likely go along the rock wall along the Marriott property.

Sunscape is in a different part of the island toward the southeast (Marie Pampoen), close to the sea aquarium, lions dive etc. They have a wall in front and think it has the best hotel based snorkeling areas on the island outside of the west part of the island. The outside of the wall area has staghorn and elkhorn coral formations which I don't recall seeing at the other two. I have seen Flying Gernards, Octopus, Barracuda and Reef Squids. Just amazing diversity and the area doesn't get exceptionally deep (15' - 30') for some distance off the wall.

For Night Snorkeling I would say Hilton or Sunscape. From what I recall Floris Beach is a public beach area and may not be well lit for night use. Night Snorkeling can be amazing with life along the walls to see. Just have a small underwater light to help see the Lobsters and other critters, they are amazing to see!

Iowa
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: compare snorkeling at....

Thank you for the great information, Nasren. I'm going to have to look up "Flying Gernards". I don't know what those are.

Btw,I did try to find these hotels on a map and it showed two Floris Suite Hotels.

I have not tried night snorkeling before. I had ample opportunity in Beilze. I'm not sure why I'm rather chicken to do that. Hmmm. Sounds exciting though.

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: compare snorkeling at....

I have a picture of a flying gurnard that I took in front of Sunscape. I am not sure how to post it.

My picture above my name was taken at Sunscape last year.

4. Re: compare snorkeling at....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, December 14, 2013