We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how does Curacao compare with Barbados?

Which Willemstad hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake City, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
how does Curacao compare with Barbados?

My husband & I are thinking of going to Curacao to celebrate our anniversary. We have been to Aruba....which we are in love with thoroughly enjoyed and also Barbados...which we absolutely detested and were quite miserable while there. HOW DOES CURACAO COMPARE TO THE TWO previously mentioned places?????

Crested Butte...
Level Contributor
71 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: how does Curacao compare with Barbados?

I haven't been to Aruba, but I have been to Barbados and Curacao. They're very different. We found Barbados tense, smoggy, high energy and jam packed. The beaches were pretty and we found the culture quite interesting, so we did enjoy it, but it wasn't very relaxing and we were always on guard. On Curacao we stayed in Westpunt so my view is colored by that, but we drove to many other places on the island. Curacao was much more low key and peaceful. We didn't meet anyone who wasn't friendly. We didn't see terrible poverty on Curacao nor did we see over the top wealth, though both may be there somewhere we didn't get. We always felt safe. The beaches on Curacao were smaller, but, I think, equally beautiful on the west side of the island, with white sand and turquoise water. Nightlife and shopping are probably better on Barbados, but those aren't important to us. The cost of eating out on Curacao was comparable to the US.

new york
Level Contributor
59 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: how does Curacao compare with Barbados?

I personally love the beach in Barbados. Any I love fish sandwich from Cuz (the little snack shack by Hilton. I would go back to Barbados just for the fish sandwich. Diving in Barbados is excellent as well, see a lot of turtles, rays.

Just came back from Curacao, and diving is definitely excellent, very good visibility, lots of nice tropical fishes.

I think Curacao probably have more charm, but I wish their beach is more Sandy. I think Barbados have more to do, tours and activities wise, but the entire island of Curacao is an attraction on its own. Driving around and explore beaches and relax makes a wonderful vacation.

The two islands def have different vibe, but I don't think one is necessary better than the other.

Arnold, Maryland
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: how does Curacao compare with Barbados?

Have been to Curacao once in November 2011 and loved it, probably returning same time this year. Have considered going to Barbados but think the food and drink are probably more expensive than Curacao, and I get the impression it's more crowded. What we loved about Curacao is that you don't have to hide on your resort to feel safe and can and should explore the island. There are many beautiful beaches to be found, and lots of great snorkeling. Has a great downtown which seemed safe and clean. Visited several postcard-worthy beaches for snorkeling and scuba. Stayed at the Hilton and would go back. Excellent location, older hotel, but that was fine for us. Family of 4, 2 adults and 2 boys, 8 and 11. Had a car and explored the island. Didn't get to see everything we wanted on last trip. Might stay at the Marriott or Blue Bay this trip because Hilton may be doing a renovation when we want to go.

PA
Level Contributor
374 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: how does Curacao compare with Barbados?

So great to hear that Curacao is easy and safe to explore. We were in Puerto Rico last summer and traffic was a terrible. We've also been to Playa del Carmen, MX and did not feel safe enough to venture off the main street in town. I am really looking forward to a relaxing stay were we can drive around and get to know the island.

PA
Level Contributor
161 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: how does Curacao compare with Barbados?

We were researching Barbados, until I came upon a story about crime, so now are researching Curacao. It seems that the villas are reasonable and air from Philadelphia is not bad. Any input on the Jan Theil area? We prefer to stay not in an AI or hotel, but want to be safe, and be able to explore an island that we visit. Any help given will be much appreciated.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
752 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: how does Curacao compare with Barbados?

My wife and I have been to both islands several times in the past and find Curacao better for what we wanted. We were looking at overall safety ,the local vibe and weather . The weather is always great as its outside the hurrican belt , its laid back with no pressure to buy stuff and safe to explore by car.We liked the place so much we bought a vacation home there in the piscadera area west of the willemstadt in a gated community called Royal Palm Resort near the Marriot and the Hilton.

Check out the website of our agent at Curacao island rentals . We own royal palm 30B.

17. Re: how does Curacao compare with Barbados?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, August 22, 2013