We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to dive?

ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to dive?

I keep reading all sorts of information and posts on diving and just can't seem to get a concensus. We're going to Curacao in August - if we only dive 2-4 times, who should we dive through and what side of the island? Thanks!

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to dive?

Shimmer, not a scuba diver here, but Curacao is covered with many reputable dive shops. This forum may not have a high percentage of divers. Check out www.scubaboard.com - I'm sure you'll get more info over there on specific dive questions. I used scubaboard for info on resorts to snorkel at, which is what lead us to Sunset Waters on Curacao.

Good luck!

Chicago
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to dive?

I agree with Snorkelgeek...scubaboard.com is a great resource for divers and Curacao, particularly, has been a hot topic of discussion. My wife and I visited Curacao this past January, stayed at the Marriott. I did a few dives with Caribbean Sea Sports, the Marriott's on-site shop...good, safe operation with a very nice boat. I, however, drove up west to Sunset Waters for 99 percent of my diving. Sunset Divers, Sunset Waters' on-site operation, is an excellent choice for diving up west. There have been a few trip reports posted on scubaboard.com of recent experiences with this shop.

Although, there are several dive shops on the east end of the island, they logistically will not travel to the more coveted dive sites to the west. On the west, Easy Divers at Habitat and Sunset Divers consistently get good reviews. Another shop up west is Ocean Encounters/All-West; Ocean Encounters is the largest operator on Curacao with 2 shops also on the east if you wish to diversify your diving.

Another nice option is the dive-bus, a guided shore dive operation...Mark and Suzy, the owners/operators, are great folks and very entertaining. Then again, if you have a buddy, just rent a pick-up and load the tanks...

Hope this helps but give scubaboard.com a browse...there are a few members living on Curacao.

Chicago
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to dive?

OK, how did I forget this one...in addition to scubaboard.com, checkout scubadiving.com (click "community" and scroll down to "member trip reports," select Curacao in the dropdown.

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to dive?

Exactly when are you going in August? We be going from 8/22 until 8/29 to Breezes.Lesheprez.

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to dive?

Web sites will help. Go on the Bon Boni site. It details 60 Curacao sites. You can print the 40 pages & bring it with you. As there's no separate Curacao Scuba book, it is the best "guide" we've thus far located. We never go anywhere to do anything until we've thoroughly researched the trip (& dive operator), & this trip was no exception. We feel it's important to know the diving histories & likes/dislikes of folks giving advice about diving. Make sense? So...I'm 58 & Lorri's 49. We each have over 200 dives. We've done Cayman, Bonaire, Cozumel, BVI, Jamaica, Dominica, St. Lucia, Nassau, Grand Bahama Island, Turks & Caicos,& Hawaii. I've done most of the Caribbean shark feeds including wearing the "suit" & doing the feed. Lorri likes uw photography & diving with dolphins. Our favorite? Night diving! On our 1st Curacao trip on 8/22 we're doing 3 days of two tank boat diving with Ocean Encounters & Mushroom Forest at extra $ 'cause it's a great dive. We plan to do some night diving, & we get a free shore dive off Breezes each day. We figure we'll get in about 10 dives each. OE might be a big operator but it's a family business & has a solid reputation. Christian answered all our e mail questions promptly & in full & seeems to be irie to the max. On our last full day we're renewing our vowas at the "oldest synagogue in the western hemisphere. Enough for now. Questions? Ask away. By the way, did you know SCUBA really means: Some Come Up Barely Alive? Safe diving. LesThePrez.

london
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to dive?

hello shimmer the west end or northwest end westpunt has the best diving less currents,best coral formations and least destroyed by traffick as most that are not divers dont travel that far.The best part is that most of the diving is shore diving accessible, but the sunset waters I hear has a very cappable divestaff if boat diving is your fourte. Dont miss mushroom forest,playa kalki aka(alice in wonderland}and the superior producer hope that helps

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to dive?

Check out the Sunset Divers website:

http://www.sunsetdiver.com/

The Sunset Waters website:

http://www.sunsetwaters.com/photos.html

For some amazing underwater shots, check out:

http://www.awoosh.com/

Chicago
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to dive?

What seemed an informative guide to Curacao is the "Drive and Dive" booklet...I did see it on the shelf at Sunst Waters' gift shop but it can also be ordered online.

http://www.cdoa.org/

Another source is shorediving.com

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to dive?

The Bon Boni piece, under curacao.com, is free. Les.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to dive?

Just got our PADI certification at Marriot: Carribean Seasports. Recommend them for PADI open water course.