We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Busy Cruise Week in Willemstad

Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Busy Cruise Week in Willemstad

Peak for cruise tourism

16 Nov, 2009, 07:09 (GMT -04:00)

WILLEMSTAD — The tourism bureau is expecting 14.500 tourists in the inner city starting tomorrow up to and including Thursday. “We are therefore calling on everyone to give them our customary ardent welcome.”

The Holland American Line will be bringing some 4000 cruise tourists to the island with the arrival of the Noordam and the Zuiderdam. Wednesday’s program announces the arrival of the Sea Princess (2000 passengers), Adventure of the Sea (3400) and Crystal Symphony (1000). The Westerdam (1800 passengers), Constellation (2000) and Ocean Dream (1000) are to arrive on Thursday.

The CTB calculates more than 20 million guilders on revenues for the coming three days, based on the approx. 80 dollars, which each tourist spends on the island.

The CTB has organized traditional music in Punda and Otrobanda for this occasion.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Busy Cruise Week in Willemstad

Don't believe for one minute every cruiser spends $80. on the island! That is not true We have spoke with many shop, restaurant and bar owners on a lot of the islands that have visiting cruise ships. The only people making profits are the cab and bus drivers, the ship with its excursions, and of couse, the government.

Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Busy Cruise Week in Willemstad

I agree, ship excursions probably account for a big chunk of that "$80". It should be a decent week for the street vendors, though...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Busy Cruise Week in Willemstad

Tour companies, cabs and restauarnts are part of the economy, their money trickles down.

I just completed a 31 day cruise. My wife and I dropped more than $80 each at all locations. This included tours, which included meals and drinks and museums and shopping etc. Postcards and stamps.

Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Busy Cruise Week in Willemstad

A 31 day cruise, to prepare for five months in Curacao ? Wow, life is good !! Where was your cruise ?

5. Re: Busy Cruise Week in Willemstad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 18, 2010