We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in the North

surrey
11 posts
Save Topic
Driving in the North

I notice that the main road goes through the National Park - do you have to pay Park costs to use this road ?

I plan to visit Shete Boca Park in the car - is it possible to drive between the various Boca's as I cannot walk very far and are the dirt roads between the Boca's good enough for a hire car (not 4x4).

Thanks You for your help.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,186 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in the North

Yes at Shete Boca you can drive around. It's all dirt roads and we have done it many times. Drive to Boka Pistol,Natural bridge. You park at the entrance for Boka Tabla, not far of a walk.You pay if you want to drive around Mt Christoffel.

A car will be fine.

surrey
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in the North

Thanks very much, looking forward to it.

Edited: 1:06 pm, January 25, 2014
Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in the North

The main road to westpunt (and shete boca) indeed goes straight through christoffel national park. You do not have to pay to go through. You will see fences at both side of the road.

Normal car will be fine for shete boca and normally also for the christoffel park. You can drive to most of the boca's.

surrey
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in the North

Thanks for your help huub9999

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in the North

Don't take the road from Boka Tabla to Watamula/Noordpunt.. That road is very bad! (and no cellular coverage)..

surrey
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in the North

Thanks Curtraveller for your useful advice - do you mean the road up from Sabana Westpunt to Watamula is a bad road - that's the only one I can see on the map.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in the North

Hi, I was actually referring to a dirtroad from the Shete Boca Park to Watamula on the north side.. Passing the other bocas (Boca Djeugu, Dos Boca etc). (its not shown on all maps). That road is very tricky and dangerous,,

From Sabana Westpunt to Watamula is a dirtroad but it should not be a problem to drive it.. its flat area.

surrey
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in the North

Thanks Curtraveller , this has been so much help to me, much appreciated.

We are only on the island for 1 day (cruise) - We are planning to get to Shete Boca early then drive onto Westount, then Watamula, then spend the afternoon on Knip Beach.then back to the ship.

Cary, North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in the North

Good plan. You'll have an enjoyable day. Shete Boca and Knip are two of the best things on the island to see, and you will see some great island wilderness along the way. Cheers!

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in the North

Just remember to fill your rental car before return (cash only! at the gas stations)

Be sure to save an hour at the end of the day to walk around Willemstad/riffort and

get the iconic picture of the Queen Emma and downtown.

Have a great trip!