We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year to visit Cuba?

Barrie ON Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best time of year to visit Cuba?

My husband and I visited Cuba for the first time last year in March (third week) we were both very disappointed in the weather. Our arrival day, and the day following were exactly what we had expected. After that, the winds came, along with the rain. We love to sit by the ocean, but with the strong winds we felt like we were being sandblasted. We were told that it was very unusually for that time of year. My question is, do we chance going the same time, or can anyone suggest another time. I don’t want to give up on Cuba because of one bad experience (resort was only fair as well) Thnaks!

Nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba?

I went in Febuary and it was amazingly hot! I have perfect weather and got way too burnt. I am off to Cuba again this year in December I will tell you how it is when I get back!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba?

The one thing I learned is that you can't count on the weather, no matter when you go, there is always a chance of weather that isn't typical for the season - good or bad. Here's our experience on our 3 visits:

Varadero - last week of January: absolutely beautiful weather the whole week we were there. On the beach every day, too hot to wear pants even at night. On the day we were leaving, the winds came up off the ocean in the morning. We wore pants and sweat shirts to the airport.

Have been to the Caribeean side of Mexico and DR a few times during this time frame, some times very good, other times cool, cloudy and rainy periods.

Cayo Coco - last week of March, again absolutely beautiful weather. On the beach every day. Winds picked up late afternoon, moved to the pool if too much wind/sand. Again, too hot for pants even at night.

Holguin - last week of March, cooler weather than usual for this time of year. Beach was good during the day, but a little windy. Wind at night, wore pants and a sweater almost every evening. For myself - I like it when it cools off in the evenings.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba?

I guess I should have added "Go Lions Go!!!" for you both. We'll be at the Grey Cup cheering your Lions on.

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba?

Deb ...??? Did I hear you say that out loud ??? LOL

I didn't think the Bombers fans could say something like that >>> (just joe king you LOL ... I'm a westerner at heart))

Same week different year completely different weather ... all I can say.

Go enjoy .. you won't be disapointed.

Mardi

NB, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba?

Been to Cuba 3 times....

once in February...beautiful and chilly at night.....rained for about 5 minutes tops....Been there last week of March and we had beautiful weather all week but still chilly at night....and this year we went on the 16th of April.....and we had hot , hot weather , sunny all week and most nights were beautiful except 1 or 2 nights bit chilly....all 3 times we were there it was windy...not every day but at least a few days during our week....and i think depending what resort your staying at ...it might be worst (ex: my brother in law stayed at the new "Marina palace" which is the last hotel at the end, after sandals hicachos etc..... and he said it was extremely windy that the "flag" on the beach was red almost every day. Hope this helps.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
781 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba?

We were in Varadero last week and had hot, sunny weather all week, 30 degrees...it started to rain on Saturday when we were leaving...we went last year in November as well, and again beautiful weather.

t.o. canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba?

Varedero can be if'y,I've seen pictures of peoples vacations from there in january and everyone had pants and jackets on because it was so cool.I think your better off around santiago or on the carribean side.They say if it's cold in santiago it's cold all over cuba,(never has been though).

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba?

i hear April is the month to go ? i hope so as thats when we are off , been before end of march and always been lovely

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,309 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba?

This weather topic naturally enough keeps cropping up in one form or another very frequently.

Like the rest of the world the weather in Cuba seems very unpredictable these days and it is impossible to say what the weather is going to be like for any given month.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,304 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba?

December - March = Cooler nights and ify weather depending on the wind direction. Cold fronts from the north Atlantic can cause it to get a little cool for enjoying the beach. But nice warm beach days are very normal too. You are just taking a chance.

April - May = Nice temps but some rain too.

June - September = Hot

October - November = Nice temps but some rain.

I like spring and fall. Never usually enough rain to spoil a holiday.