We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Havana Tour - Best Way???

Ottawa
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Havana Tour - Best Way???

I've been wondering about this for a while. I'm curious, what is the best way to see Havana if you are staying in Varadero? I've heard that if you can get a local, you'll see more and pay less? What are the options? How do you go about securing the services of a local? I've read people talkinga bout taxis too and renting them for a few hours? Details please. Thanks!!! _Rob

Lancashire UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Havana Tour - Best Way???

Hi - we got a taxi ( 2 adults & 2 Kids ) it cost us 160 pesos ( 100GPB) ..the tour bus would have been almost double !

We just asked at reception and they organised it for us -he picked us up at 8.30 am ( but you can specify what time ) and showed us Havana, he dropped us off at different locations sometimes just a photo stop and sometimes for longer -he recommended places with no pressure and was where he said he'd be when we returned .

I know a bunch of Canadians all went together in a mini bus ( about 12 of them ) and that was slightly cheaper .

hth

Newfoundland Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Havana Tour - Best Way???

I done the day trip to Havana and it was a good trip.We rented a taxi for the day(9-6)and it cost 160Cuc for Four of us 40Cuc per person and this was for a bigger car a Volvo.Confirm Price before you leave and dont pay till you get back.Check with some resort workers and they will find you a taxi and get you a good price.

Aberdeen, Scotland
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Havana Tour - Best Way???

We just hopped on the Viazul bus from the central terminal. 10 CUC one way 3 times a day http://www.habanasol.com/cuba/buses.htm

When we got off we were approached and rented a casa particulare (someones aoartment which they vacate for the 2 nights we were there (50 CUC). this left us to suit ourselves and we just followed one of the tours in the lonely planet guide...... easy and gives you much more freedom than the whistlestop organised tours :-)

best of luck

Val-d'Or, Quebec
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Havana Tour - Best Way???

In my opinion, the best way is with a local. Most often than not, an employee at your hotel will spot the new arrivers and offer them a tour of some sort. You can expect to pay 25-35 CUC per person and they take you all around, wherever you want to go.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
384 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Havana Tour - Best Way???

The best way to see Havana is a private tour with a local, they will take you wherever you want for as long as you want, can reccomend good places to eat that aren't expensive and can suggest options, which are cheaper than booking an organized tour from your hotel. My friend Olbert takes people on tours to havana all the time and he is great! You can read more about him in the " hotel reviews" section under Melia Las Americas- Varadero-he used to work there and many other tourists have commented on how much they enjoyed his tours. If you want to arrange something with him he can be reached at 535-291-7840 anytime, it's his cell#. if your calling from Canada just add 011 in front of the #.

happy travels!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Havana Tour - Best Way???

We recently spent 2 weeks in Varadero. We went to Havana by way of Viazul bus, overnighted in a casa particular, and utilized the services of an excellent private guide. His name is Jorge, he lives in Havana, speaks English perfectly, is University educated, and is a delight. You can contact him at jorgeguide2004@yahoo.es and he will make all of the arrangements for you, based on your interests and what you would like to see. I contacted Jorge by email 2 weeks prior to our trip and made all of the arrangements that way. Although I know you can share a taxi and they will take you to all of the touristy places, you will not get the rich experience you would get with Jorge. Jorge is a fount of knowledge on all things Cuba, and makes the history come alive.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Havana Tour - Best Way???

Hey Golfismygame,

How much did you pay your guide for the tour?

Just curious what to expect, thanks for the great info. and GO FLAMES GO!

TheSunbaron

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14,385 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Havana Tour - Best Way???

Good Grief Crazyforshoes ~ Lets hope nobody too official or too important reads your post ~ unless your friend is working legally as a tour guide of course.

Too much information...... you could land your friend in hot water.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Havana Tour - Best Way???

Sunbaron,

I don't remember the exact price... but I do recall feeling that it was very fair, based on the amount of time spent, rental car, etc...

What I know for sure is that it was without a doubt, the most interesting and informative tour I have ever taken, and I have travelled extensively. What I would suggest is that you simply email Jorge, and ask him directly. You don't need to feel obligated to hire him, just because you email him. I think that is the best way to get an accurate estimate and also for you to glean whether or not this is the way you want to go. It certainly worked for me!

10. Re: Havana Tour - Best Way???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, August 17, 2009