We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open Liquor in luggage?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Open Liquor in luggage?

Hi all,

Purchased a bottle of scotch for the trip and couldn't resist having a dram before going. Am I ok to still bring it opened and in the original container, packed in my checked baggage?

Thanks!

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Open Liquor in luggage?

yes yes yes otherwise it will be taken from you when you go through Cuban customs. You can not carry liquor now through Cuban customs when we exit the country like we used to. If you can find a plastic bag to put it in that would be good. Just in case it leaks

ottawa
Level Contributor
3,239 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Open Liquor in luggage?

I don't think technically you can bring an open bottle into Canada, but it is not likely they will notice, especially if only one drink missing.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Open Liquor in luggage?

Double ziploc bags come to mind! ;)

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,049 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Open Liquor in luggage?

Buy a new bottle.

Drink the open one.

Problem solved.:)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Open Liquor in luggage?

I like the proposed solution divaGateshead. I shoul h ave clarified. I am taking this bottle down with me to Cuba. I'm doubting they'll even care....

ottawa
Level Contributor
3,239 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Open Liquor in luggage?

You're most likely right--just make sure it's closed tightly and in a plastic bag surrounded by clothes. Not fun to arrive at destination with clothes smelling of Irish Whiskey...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Open Liquor in luggage?

Hola

just put some duct tape on the cap.....nothing worse than ringing out the towel to reclaim the scotch lol

cheers.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,368 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Open Liquor in luggage?

You flying non stop or through Toronto. YYZX might take a interest. Do as Diva says. Why take any chances

Cheers

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,526 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Open Liquor in luggage?

"Am I ok to still bring it opened and in the original container, packed in my checked baggage?"

Absolutely. Wrap it well, and put it in your checked baggage. It is NOT a problem, as there are no rules about transporting an open bottle of alcohol in your checked baggage (as long as you aren’t transporting large quantities that would obviously not be for your personal use). It does not matter whether you are transiting through another airport – if it is in your checked luggage that is where it stays.

Edited: 8:41 pm, June 06, 2014
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,368 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Open Liquor in luggage?

Actually there are rules for transporting it in checked baggage. You can put it in checked baggage if its between 24 per cent but not more than 70 per cent alcohol by volume. More than that its considered dangerous goods. From Transport Canada's website. Likely won't be checked but .....

Cheers