We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Make up kits in Cuba

Edmonton, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Make up kits in Cuba

Is it totally okay to bring in some make up kits as a gift for Cubans? I got lots of it and is wondering if that will be a non issue passing thru customs.I heard they are pretty strict. First time in Cuba and don't know what to expect.

Also, can I wear make up as well and no problem passing thru customs?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,339 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Make up kits in Cuba

Your intentions are admireable. The gifts are not needed. Tip in CUC for good service. That way they can buy what they need. As for you wearing make-up, no problems.

Cheers

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Make up kits in Cuba

Has the make-up ban in Cuba been lifted? If so, that's good news.

Cheers,

Terry

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,339 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Make up kits in Cuba

Was there one for Cuban woman?. My wife wears it and no issues. Although shes not over the top.

Cheers

Edmonton, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Make up kits in Cuba

Thanks guys for the info!

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,359 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Make up kits in Cuba

Maybe it is better to leave all your gifts at home.

Tip in CUCs.

As to wearing make up.

You may bring hodds , but with a bit of sun and creams you will more than likely leave it off.

So only bring the minimum, save weight as well.

Wellow, United...
Level Contributor
2,830 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Make up kits in Cuba

My suggestion is take what YOU can use whilst there and then leave it behind with a member of staff that you feel has gone that extra mile for you, even if that person is a man ...who gives the men anything for their ladies? Everybody is correct tip in CUC's for good service received, don't go gifting for the sake of it.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Make up kits in Cuba

I think taking makeup kits is a great idea. The girls that do entertainment would be thrilled. I know when my daughter goes to Cayo Coco she always brings hairspray, makeup brushes and many other things that the dancers have a hard time getting and they really appreciate the gifts. We have been to Cuba many many times and there is no problem wearing makeup. You will be surprised how many Cubans wear makeup and also have permanent makeup. Go enjoy and also don't forget to tip a peso here and there for good service.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Make up kits in Cuba

I know at Breezes Varadero they like getting makeup and new colors of nail polish. Perfume and especially Victoria Secret creams are well received. Also updated magazines are enjoyed. No problem with wearing makeup the past 8 years.

Edited: 11:49 am, January 22, 2014
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,930 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Make up kits in Cuba

Members of the Animacion Team always appreciate makeup. They won't refuse if you offer your kit.

But Tip in CUC's, please.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4,830 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Make up kits in Cuba

I hardly noticed this one before, until the later topic where Terry came clean about his joke. But since the question has been asked, I can't not give my opinion.

Two things:

1. To the OP: You say it is your first trip to Cuba, so how would you know anyone well enough to give them a gift. Gifts are things you give to friends. Would you give the maid in a Canadian hotel, or the waitress in a Canadian restaurant a makeup kit as a gift? Maybe if it was someone you got to know well, you might give a gift out of friendship. But it isn't necessary to hand out gifts to strangers in Cuba. It sounds like you have been duped by all of those people that go around saying that all Cubans are poor, and they can't get any of the stuff we take for granted, etc. etc.

2. At post #6, are you really saying that you should take your own makeup, use some of it, and then give away the used makeup that is left over? I can't imagine anyone wanting used makeup. It just seems a bit unsanitary to me. And, no, I am not suggesting you are not clean. My wife won't even use her own makeup if it has been around too long. She says it is because germs grow in makeup after it has been used.