We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"scams in progress"....

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
"scams in progress"....

just read a warning about buying cigars in that "famous" cigar store near calle 63... any other "surprises" that we should be aware of? we go in less than 3 weeks...

anything new about money exchange? where can we get receipts and honest treatment?

thanks

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "scams in progress"....

Money exchange is easy to handle... the exchange rate must be posted, it's simple math to ensure you're receiving the correct amount. Don't be rushed, count the dough, no big deal.

Fake cigars in a government store... that's another matter...

Cheers,

Terry

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
8,908 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "scams in progress"....

Terry at the Jardines del Rey airport in Cayo Coco not one of the 3 Cadeca's actually had a rate posted any where to be seen and were all between 5% & 7% lower than they should have been. Not bad graft $5 to $7 cash in pocket from every $100 Cnd changed !!!

LENNY

ottawa
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "scams in progress"....

Terry I hope it wasn't fake cigars I was overcharged for at the CDH. That would really take the cake. Prices are increasing for the genuine cigars and cigar price lists compiled by visiting cigar enthusiasts are not always accurate. So I was asking if anyone else had been scammed at an official store rather than the cost reflecting newer prices. As for fakes, even at the Partagas factory store I got an unsmokable "plug" sold as a single. Maybe I should stick to rum. It's a heck of a lot cheaper and a more reliable product .....so far!

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: "scams in progress"....

Pretty sad when the cadeca at the airport is stealing from the hand that feeds them!

montreal
Level Contributor
10,348 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "scams in progress"....

This reminds me about rum one year at the Sirenis La Salina which is Memories today .

This Canadian lady asked for a glass of rum as we were all having cocktails which we were ok with and 5 minutes later she came back and said your rum tastes like water as this is not rum .

Well friend of mine that worked at the bar with other workers went and check bottles in the back and in a couple of boxes in the back well no rum or Ron as Cubans say but water instead and these bottles were never opened before .

So careful what you wish for lol ....

montreal
Level Contributor
10,348 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "scams in progress"....

deebob Yes its sad but they have been doing this at the Varadero airport Cadeca for years as these people get away with this because some people in the back are getting there share .

Have been going to other places around the World and i will talk for myself not once somebody tried to rip me off like they tried every time i have been to Cuba which is a shame as it gets to the point that Cuban friends tell me to show them the bill before i pay because they don't trust there own people .

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: "scams in progress"....

I've literally , turned back to the line of people behind me, and yelled out to them.

"Watch for this one, she'll rip you off" while pointing my finger at her face.

Beeeoch!

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "scams in progress"....

how about that "banco commerciale" near calle 35? will they still give you receipts = give you the actual exchange /but maybe they might lose some pesos while counting out the cash/?

that really sucks, bicycleman_8... 5-7% lower?

in my limited /5xcuba/ experience - it's getting harder and harder to just go and enjoy this beautiful country... why should i worry and watch over everything - that i might be ripped off? i'm sure nobody likes that...

and - to their defence /???/ i might say, that i would be plain "saint" or stupid not to go with the flow and do like everybody else does - take some cash out of the "varadero walking atm's" ...

i still don't like that and i'll try to do my best to get my "honest" exchange at some "honest" cadeca... somebody mentioned one near hotel internacional or villa cuba?

but other than that - i think i just go with credit card wherever possible...

montreal
Level Contributor
10,348 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "scams in progress"....

Zabbba i have used that Bank often and they always give you a receipt with the exact money you are supose to get as they count the money in front of you way to slow for me lol .

Use them as this is the only place i have used in Varadero and i can say not one CUC is missing and also the best exchange rate in town .

Oh before i forget there is a sign inside the Bank with foreign exchange rate as that way so no surprise at the end when exchanging Canadian into CUC ...

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: "scams in progress"....

Ummm. Why not just exchange your money at home and not worry? Is the exchange rate in Cuba that much better than here in Canada?