We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health Problems at Sandals Varadero, Cuba

Reading, England...
Level Contributor
1 post
51 reviews
Save Topic
Health Problems at Sandals Varadero, Cuba

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experienced health issues [D & V, Bacterial Infections etc] at Sandals. My wife and I stopped there between 20th June and 1st July this year 2013 and she was hospitalised twice to have infusions and injections and was diagnosed with bacterial gastro enterhitus. Whilst there we noticed others complaining about illness and the doctor on site confirmed that 14 others had the same problem. One couple were complaining and he was a food processing manager and stressed his concerns over the way the buffet food was served. Appreciate hearing from anyone please.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,662 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Health Problems at Sandals Varadero, Cuba

tanwhite @ #8... I'd normally be one of the people doing the eye roll, but your post was beautifully written with great humour. Thanks for the chuckle.

Stay clean!

Cheers,

Terry

Scotland
Level Contributor
35 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Health Problems at Sandals Varadero, Cuba

I am just back from Blau Varadero, and suffered terribly from D&V there - the very worst ever. (and I have travelled in India, Turkey, Thailand!) It was definitely picked up there, as we were there for 35 hours before it kicked off. I lost a total of 6 days holiday. Luckily the hotel has a very good doctor and nurse, and with injections and antibiotics I recovered enough to travel home this weekend. Tummy still not right though.

Would agree sometimes travellers hygiene difficult to understand - I always take care travelling abroad as a very seasoned traveller, but both me and partner were quite horrified by the unhygenic way staff were preparing and serving food and ice here. There were also lots of flies, and the public washrooms were a health hazard in themselves and a great onslaught on the nose.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Health Problems at Sandals Varadero, Cuba

I'm headed to Cuba for my 11th time in September- and have been really lucky thus far.

Only once did I come down with a violent stomach problem.. it only lasted an hour or so but was horrendous. Husband had it too, the same night. We narrowed it down to likely be the fried shrimp we ate earlier that day by the pool. Either had gone bad, or wasn't cooked long enough, whatever.

This was at Playa Pesquero in Holguin, but it really can happen anywhere, anytime.

I tend to try and be a vegetarian for the most part when we're in Cuba now. To me, it seems that when people get sick, there's usually some sort of mean involved. I've always been just fine with pizza, pasta, etc..

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Health Problems at Sandals Varadero, Cuba

#12: Could it have been cholera? It has been reported in the area...

Scotland
Level Contributor
35 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Health Problems at Sandals Varadero, Cuba

Interesting thought. I did wonder that myself. Partner now has it less than 24 hours after leaving Cuba. I have had the vaccinations for cholera, so had assumed immunity.......

16. Re: Health Problems at Sandals Varadero, Cuba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, July 19, 2014