We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving in Varadero

Aberdeen, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Diving in Varadero

Hi folks, I will be in Varadero next month for two weeks and intend to do some diving while i'm over. I have my advanced PADI certification and have been looking at dive shops and sites. Three that regularly come up are Gaviota Marina Dive Centre, Adventure Divers and Cuba Treasures. Has anyone had any recent experiences with these shops? I've heard that Cuba Treasures are the only privately owned shop? Any recommended sites? I've heard Bay of Pigs is worth the journey from Varadero. Any comments good or bad appreciated!

Many thanks,

Nick

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,611 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving in Varadero

i have used Baracuda and they have the bay of pigs excursion,,, never used the ones you are asking about but been really happy with Baracuda

Toronto, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving in Varadero

I've done it with both Barracuda and Cubatreasures.

Cubatreasures is so far the best, they take you in a car just you and your companion so you can enjoy your dive without 30 people around disturbing and making a mess around you. lol. Also with barracuda you spend 1 hour pick in up people from different hotels and then 1 hour dropping everyone again. unless you are the lucky last one to pick up and first to drop off. equipment is similar, but I would say Cubatreasures keep them in better shape since they are private.

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
382 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving in Varadero

There are changes all the time in Cuba and one of the latest is No more private diving businesses in Cuba. This comes in to effect next week. One of the big reasons for diving is insurance issues. I am told however some will still offer private diving but if they are caught it will be big trouble.

We have had great experiences diving with Barracuda.

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving in Varadero

LOL, funny, you most be from Barracuda for sure. I'm from Cubatreasures, not gonna mention anything about you guys. Just wanted to say Cubatreasures is a private company licensed by the government to give these services. There is no closing down on us.

Happy diving to all of us!!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving in Varadero

loveSFO, where did you hear that? I have acquaintances who were just granted a private licence for a diving operation at the west end of Cuba...

Cheers,

Terry

6. Re: Diving in Varadero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 12, 2014