We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carseats in Varadero?

Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
carseats in Varadero?

I will be bringing my children ages 4 yrs old and an almost 2 yr old with me to Varadero. We plan on site seeing and want to be able to take the children. We are wondering about car seats, are there any available ? Is it just something that We don't need while on vacation? We plan on making a trip to Havana as well. Is it necessary to bring carseats with us on vacation? Please help!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: carseats in Varadero?

I don't think I ever seen kids in car seats there........you should be ok without them.

northwest ontario
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: carseats in Varadero?

I've seen them checked through. Check your carriers luggage policies.

If it were me I'd bring them-just make sure nothing is sticking out that may get broke off during transport.

Oh, and the ones I saw were inside big clear plastic bags for traveling.

Cheers

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,306 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: carseats in Varadero?

I don't think that the rental companies have them available. (They are sold in Havana, at least).

I assume that they are not legally required - but you may well want them for safety anyway.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: carseats in Varadero?

There may be an issue in taxi regarding the seatbelts required to secure the car seat .....that's something to consider as well!!

Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: carseats in Varadero?

Hi there,

So I have both rented a car as well as travelled by taxi in Varadero for many years. Car seats are not available, in addition to this 75% of vehicles don't even have seatbelts in the back seat. If this is a major concern, take the bus it is much cheaper, there are organized tours to Havana and buses to go around town. The hop on hop off bus is 5$ for the day, you can get off and on all day and it is a double decker so the kids would probably enjoy that. The bus to Havana is about 3 hours, it is more convenient to have a hired car, as well as the fact that the tour is not extremely child friendly. If this is the case, start talking to taxi drivers when you arrive, find one that will have seat belts for your car seats (good luck and you will have to bring your own) also negotiate a good price for the trip.

Honestly, Havana is a long drive for 2 young children, especially if done in one day, you are looking at minimum 5 hrs in a vehicle, lots of walking and obviously the heat. Just adding my personal opinion as I have traveled a lot with my son.

Good luck, and have fun! Cuba has given my family many happy memories

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,310 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: carseats in Varadero?

Thank you Miranda - I too have travelled with my son a lot, and personally I wouldn't do the excursion to Havana with such young children - it just wouldn't be interesting for them, on top of the other conditions you pointed out (the heat, the very long drives).

Sightseeing around Varadero would be ok though - a trip to Josone Park would be interesting for the kids!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,306 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: carseats in Varadero?

I would think most modern cars have rear seatbelts - which covers rental cars and the better condition taxis. I certainly would not recommend doing that in a 1950s maquina or a Lada.

If the children are fine a travelling (and it is only 2 hours by car), then it could be a good experience. If that is too far - perhaps a trip in to Matanzas ?

Aside - I remember a car ride from Havana to Morón before my son could talk. My wife was with him in the back of the car, but he wasn't happy. She suggested that perhaps he wanted me to hold him, so we swapped. He still wasn't happy - we concluded that it was because HE wanted to drive.

Edited: 9:01 am, February 22, 2013
8. Re: carseats in Varadero?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 24, 2014