We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Solymar

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo Solymar

Ok so ive booked a trip to Barcelo Solymar for me and my girl (mid-late 20s) in Jan 2013. Its our first time in Cuba. We wanted somewhere to go and drink/relax/beach/party. I was going to book Blau at first but heard its for the older quieter crowd and its dead after 10pm. After reading the solymar reviews i felt like this was the spot for us. But i also see lots of other negative reviews. My question is, is Solymar REALLY THAT BAD!? Or am i just seeing really picky people complaining. Anyone been that can give honest feed back? Also we booked the bungalows for our stay. Were just going for the drinks, beach and a bit of partying. Cleanliness is obviously needed aswell. Were not that picky and understand the food might not be great but theres restaurants off the resort as far as i know.

Calgary
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo Solymar

The Barcelo is not that bad as all and I have stayed there plenty of times. It is great for partying but you do also have quiet times. In my last review even I complained about it but that is because I know how it used to be and it has gone downhill but it is still good. My major complaint last time was the cockroaches in the last room (the room was above the restaurant and that may make a difference). But there are solutions to everything! I personally like the food at the Solymar. There is also a lot of great staff there that will treat you great. (I xan provide you with their information at a later time). I am being a traitor this time and going to a different hotel in two weeks but will be spending some time at the Solymar visiting. I am sure you will be satisfied with the hotel!

Level Contributor
116 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo Solymar

The Solymar isn't a bad choice. We were there in April. Yup, it's a party place but the whole resort is so spread out, you can easily find a quiet place. The pool on Arenas side is nicer. Beach is fantastic and you're minutes (walking) away from a lot of great restaurants, bars. No worries, you'll have a great time!

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo Solymar

i don't think you can ever have "honest feedback"...

to me - it's all relative...

it all depends on your expectactions and what you're used to...

but i agree with 1 and 2 - it's not a bad choice

we are going to arenas blancas in 3 weeks - 3 generations of us

i'm sure we will have great time /and it's our 4th time at this hotel/

for food and entertainment we alternate between solymar and arenas b.

we like both

just don't sweat the small stuff /and bring your own beach towels.. :)

soap, shower gel, toothpaste and some toilet paper :) and you will be all set... /some people complain about not enough of the above mentioned things - i know, it's a hotel, it's all supposed to be there all the time, but based on my experience.... i'm just ready with those little items and then i have a fantastic holiday.... i hope you too....

location is the best....if you like walking - it's the place to be... :)

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo Solymar

Zabba: That's the spirit!

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
716 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo Solymar

Also look at Memories Varadero, just got back yesterday.

Disco and Lobby were always going, many 20 somethings, a few that didn't know when to quit but it wasn't the "Geezer" crowd that's for sure. It gave me the sense of having the Good of the Solymar without the bad that comes with it.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
360 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelo Solymar

Zabba I like your attitude! I am going back to Solymar for my seventh visit in Jan 2013. No the place is definitely not perfect, but any place will be as good as you make it. As far as location goes, it is ideal if you enjoy going for a walk along the strip. I will see you there GTA!

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelo Solymar

thank you ddcuba and harley

looks like you know how to enjoy your holiday no matter what fate throws at you... :) i'll drink to that in AB..........coming sooooon......... :))

8. Re: Barcelo Solymar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, December 16, 2013