We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip from Varadero to Santa Clara

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip from Varadero to Santa Clara

Would like to surprise my hubby with a visit to Santa Clara and the Che Mausoleum. Is this possible as a day trip - with private guide - from Varadero? We will be travelling to Varadero end of February 2013.

Denise

saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip from Varadero to Santa Clara

I visited Santa Clara in 1998. I went from Varadero to Santa Clara. It was a special excursion to see Pope John Paul II . Mass in AM. We had lunch then an excursion to the Che Mauseleum. To be inside the actual mausoleum which has an eternal flame is encredible. The remains of Tanya Bunke and several others are also entombed there.

I am sure you will be able to arrange an excursion by private car.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip from Varadero to Santa Clara

I saw JPII in Denver in 1993...a truly incredible experience.

I can imagine that you left Varadero extremely early in the morning, Cuba59...? How long was the trip from Varadero to Santa Clara?

From what I've read, there doesn't seem to be much to do in Santa Clara, other than the Che Mausoleum, but then again - I have learned to take what I read here on Trip Advisor with a HUGE grain of salt....what is boring for one, could be very interesting for another...!

Thanks.

Denise

montreal
Level Contributor
10,079 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip from Varadero to Santa Clara

I went there about 4 years ago and to be honest i would not waste my money to visist that place as there is not much to see Denise as when we went there the Che Museum was close so don't how it looks .

But here goes as the places we visited were the Bay of Pigs then a crocodile farm at Guama and then you can take a boat just outside the crocodile farm to look at an Indian Village if we can call that an Indian village take a look at this site and you will have an idea what it looks like ...

flyingcigar.de/travel_cigars/2012_04_cuba_gu…

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip from Varadero to Santa Clara

Gat0, how long is the drive, and how did you go there?

montreal
Level Contributor
10,079 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip from Varadero to Santa Clara

I had my own car as we always rent a car in Varadero and Cuban friends were our guides .

Problem with them i think they know us much about Cuba as i do as i find we get lost to often for my taste lol ..

It took us around 1h30 minutes ....

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip from Varadero to Santa Clara

Gat0 you have such a great way of putting a funny spin on your experiences. So I am suspecting it would be 2 hours by vizul. Santa Clara is actually a place I would like to visit...

montreal
Level Contributor
10,079 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip from Varadero to Santa Clara

Sax first time we went to Matanzas to visit the cave when we left Varadero there Grand Father told them how to bring me there and what to see.

Well i sure saw lots and lots of Matanzas back and forth as it took us more then 1 hour to find the darn cave as it was not funny anymore as it got to a point i told him to let me go and ask for directions or else we would still be there looking for the cave lol ....

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,279 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip from Varadero to Santa Clara

According to the posted schedule on Viazul.cu, you would need to take the Varadero – Santiago bus, and get off in Santa Clara. That bus leaves Varadero at 21:45, and arrives in Santa Clara at 00:50 – basically in the middle of the night.

The return trip departs Santa Clara at 07:55 and arrives in Varadero at 11:10. So, it would be a two-day trip, with two overnights in Santa Clara.

I’d hire a car - at about 2.5 hours each way, it could easily be a day trip.

Gat0 ... that is funny ... many people can’t find the road to Bellamar Caves!

Edited: 7:24 pm, August 11, 2012
montreal
Level Contributor
10,079 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip from Varadero to Santa Clara

Mad your right its hard to find that cave as a small road sign would do the job but i guess when you have no stop signs in some streets why bother with a road sign ...

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,279 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip from Varadero to Santa Clara

LOL ... You got that right! I heard that every time the sign is posted, someone takes it down so that tourists will stop and ask for directions, and give huge tips and gifts! ☺ ☺ ☺