We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what legal drinking age in Cuba?

Ontario
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
what legal drinking age in Cuba?

Just curious...what legal drinking age in Cuba? My daughter is almost 16 but looks older ..hoping they don't serve her alcohol by accident there!!Lol .

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what legal drinking age in Cuba?

From previous posts, it seems the legal drinking age in Cuba is 16...there has also been mention that underage persons receive a different colored wrist-band but I have no idea of the truthfulness of this.

I would suspect that if you went to the bar at the same time your daughter did and mentioned to the bartenders that she is underage (at least by Canadian standards), that they would not serve her alcohol. This might make your daughter very VERY ticked-off with you but as her parent, you are the one to decide if she is responsible enough to drink or not.

Edited: 11:19 am, January 10, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,487 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what legal drinking age in Cuba?

There is no legal drinking age in Cuba. Anyone can drink alcool. There is a legal age to sell alcool, which is 16. Cubans are not strict on age when it comes to alcool.

However, some hotel will not serve alcool to people under 18, others to people under 16, and will give them a different color wrist band. And in other hotels, it's at the complete discretion of the bartender.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Waterloo, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what legal drinking age in Cuba?

Chances are, if she asks for it, she will be given it.

Drumheller...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what legal drinking age in Cuba?

I think your best bet is to have a talk with your daughter because like SharonAnn said "if she asks for it she will be given it" There was a 15 year old boy at our resort last time that was falling down puking drunk every day and his mother just laughed at him.

ontario
Level Contributor
864 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what legal drinking age in Cuba?

Mine was 16 when I took her and the rule was if you get drunk or don't check in with me on a regular basis I WILL get you a colored wrist band, although I don't even know if there is such a thing, my threat worked and she was on her best behavior! :)

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
453 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what legal drinking age in Cuba?

underage persons are given a different colour wrist ban everywhere we have gone for the last 14 years but if they go into town whole new story compared to resorts in town it's about the sale not the age>>>

Campbellton, Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what legal drinking age in Cuba?

You can probably ask at the time of check in, for your daughter to be given a bracelet for no alcohol. Last February in Cuba they didn't even ask and our 15 year old got a regular bracelet...but she knew the rules. Bartender are probably so busy that they may not even notice that she is not to have alcohol. It is up to her (or the person getting the drinks) to ask them SIN alcohol.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Ontario
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what legal drinking age in Cuba?

thanks!

Ontario
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what legal drinking age in Cuba?

just for everyone information I did find this on line!

Drinking age:

There is no minimum drinking age, but buyers must be at least 16 years old to purchase alcohol. wow eh?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what legal drinking age in Cuba?

Last year we had a 15 year old and a 16 year old in our group. They automatically gave the 16 yo girl an adult bracelet and the 15 yo boy a childs.