We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa De Oro

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Playa De Oro

Anyone going here Jan.30 - Feb.12?

Who has been here before and has good or negative things to say?

Going with open mind for sun and relaxation and a few Cuba Libre's...lol.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
792 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa De Oro

We have been there 3 times and i love the place.

I thought i would give you a few tips:

Room 1202 -1208 are ocean view rooms on the 3rd floor facing northwest (Sunset).

Be sure to bring:

Faceclothes (we leave them there when we go)

Some rooms have a musty smell, spend a couple of dollars and bring some candles (Vanilla is our choice)

An old plastic gift card (Tim Hortons, etc.) that if stolen no big deal. That card will keep the power on in the room and the air running if you like the coolness. As well it keeps the fridge running. When you come back to your room at night it is easier to turn the lights on when the card is in, instead of fumbling around for the card.

Bring a rope or bungie so you can hang your suits to dry. (Bathing that is)

It never hurts to bring some goodies for the maids or the locals as they appreciate gifts.

EXTRA TOILET PAPER as they are stingy on that and keep it hidden in your luggage.

That's all i can think of for now as to what you will need in your room.

The room is the last place i worry about as we do not spend to much time there.

The rest of the resort is great as long as you are not picky about everything. We are down to earth people and enjoy it as it is.

We are staying at Breezes Varadero this year as the wife wants a change and Green fees are included at Breezes.

Go with an open mind and have FUN :)

Edited: 9:58 pm, January 04, 2012
Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa De Oro

Brendabu I am so glad you posted this! I'm sure you've seen the last few (very negative!) reviews of this resort, & as you know we'll be there the first week you're there. Last night hubby & I were contemplating upgrading to a different resort. But after your post & Hockey_nut_21's response (thanks for the tips, BTW!), we are going to stick it out & give this resort a chance.

We are outdoors people - we are used to a little dirt & bugs, we are used to "roughing it" to an extent. But when you're paying to go to an all-inclusive resort, you do expect some level of comfort. My biggest concern is whether there are bed-bugs as stated in a couple of the reviews. I know there are sand flies & I would bet money that I'll be bit by them even though I'll use bug spray - I was bit pretty bad in Riviera Maya last year by sandflies, if they're around they'll find me!!

Keeping my fingers crossed that it's not as bad as the last few reviews posted! Guess I'll just have to drink enough Mojitos to make me oblivious to anything negative about the resort once we get there! ;)

24 sleeps!! I've bought 2 new bathing suits, a new cover-up & started packing already! Cannot wait to get on that plane!!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa De Oro

To Suebee68TB

Maybe we'll see you there..There are 7 of us coming from Winnipeg on the 30th ages 28-56..

Yeah I'll give it a try and there's always those people that complain about everything.

See you in 25 days.:)

Pflugerville, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa De Oro

We were there last October for a wonderful week and just booked 10 days in May. It's still a bit chilly for us now. I don't get the mention about needing to bring toilet paper. We had no issues with this. Our room did not have a electrical cutoff either, so I wonder if it's not in the swim-up rooms? We're staying in an upstairs room this time.

Also, unless you go next door you don't need a swimsuit, much less two. A sarong is the ideal garment if you wish to "dress" for dinner. We had no issues with dirt or bugs either.

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa De Oro

toilet paper is for leaving resort, it is a rarity just like toilet seats.

i only recommend this resort to students you can get a far nicer 4 star resort for 25 bucks more.

Bradford, Ontario...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa De Oro

I am headed there on Jan 29. I am just wondering if anyone can recommend any rooms that are nice, possibly in the newer upgraded section of the resort.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa De Oro

"Also, unless you go next door you don't need a swimsuit, much less two."

Did I miss something when I was researching this resort??? If so - boy is hubby going to be one happy man...LOL!!

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
515 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa De Oro

OMG...sounds as if I'm going camping! LOL

9. Re: Playa De Oro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, January 13, 2013