We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Vacation with family

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Vacation with family

So I just booked my air tickets and the hotels. I will be 4 nights in La Havana and 4 nights in Varadero. I will be traveling with my 16 years old son and my 11 years old daughter.

For Varadero I chose the Riu Varadero because of the great price and it looks like a nice property.

I have several questions, so I hope I can get the answers here.

1: What are the top things to do with family in Varadero?

2: What's the best option of transportation to get around?

3.The Riu is an all inclusive Resort but that includes all the restaurants?

4. Is it worth the upgrade to get the Royal Service, and what do you get?

5. What kind of shopping is in Varadero?

6.Kind of silly question but Do the Riu has a website?

7. What to do and where in Christmas?

Please any tips and recommendations are welcome.

Thanks.

montreal
Level Contributor
10,164 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Vacation with family

1 --- Excursions but as i see your going for 4 days maybe you should skip it .

2-----Double Decker bus which is 5cuc per person per day and taxi .

3----Yes its all included .

4---- This one i don't know so will help others help you .

5----Not much to shop for in Cuba and best place to shop are the Flea Markets but its nothing like Mexico lol lets just say you don't go to Cuba because of the shopping ...

6-----Yes Riu has a website but Riu Varadero has been pulled out of it a couple of months ago .

7----- What to do in Christmas well best place for you will be with your family in the resort .

And by the way you are about 15 minutes by taxi to downtown Varadero from your resort and Varadero is small as you will see by yourself ......

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Vacation with family

get the map for the hop on hop off bus from resort if possible,,,go into Varadero, see the flea markets, go to Josone park, go the art gallery. take the bus from end to the other end, go to St Elvira's church it is open to the public. and enjoy the beach.

Spend christmas day on the beach and enjoy the day with your family.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Vacation with family

Here are the additional inclusions you get for Royal Service..

Royal Section Exclusive Amenities

• All Junior Suites section with living area

• Exclusive Steak House Restaurant

• Exclusive Pool

• Exclusive Cigar Bar

• Closet section to the beach

• Butler Service

• 24 Hour Room Service

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Vacation with family

Thanks a lot for all the great info... BTW do anyone know what's the price to a Jr. Suite?

So does anyone know about special things to do for Christmas, do some hotels have dinners in the beach?

And I still don't have decided the transportation between Havana and Varadero, I don't think I will go in a bus but I don't know if anyone knows which Rental Car Company will allow me to rent a car in Havana and drop off in Varadero.

What's the name of the Al Capone restaurant?

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter Vacation with family

Last time I was at the property the upgrade to Royal was $80 CUC per room per night..

All rental companies will allow to pick up and drop off in different airports/points.. I know that REX does not charge for the drop off. The most economical option for you would be Viazul bus.

The " Al Capone" restaurant is called "La Casa De Al"

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter Vacation with family

So is it better to take a tour or just to take the bus and visit some touristic points?

And thanks "smallworldtra..." for your recommendation of what to do during day in Christmas but is there something special to do for Christmas Eve. Like dinner in a nice restaurant??

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter Vacation with family

So is it better to take a tour or just to take the bus and visit some touristic points?

8. Re: Winter Vacation with family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, October 15, 2012